Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Weight change and thyroid disorders

Is one of the reasons why someone cannot lose weight or gain weight is because of a thyroid problem?
An underactive thyroid can cause weight gain, depression, muscle aches, fatigue, dry skin and dry or brittle hair, hair loss, constipation, a constant feeling of being cold, and many other symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Your thyroid affects how your metabolism works. If your hyper you often lose weight and if your hypo you often gain since your metabolism is slowed down. Being onthe right dose of meds helps with this problem but it's hard to get the right dose sice each person is different. I know some who feel fine with their TSH at 5 while when mine was at 4.8 I was having a hard time functioning. LL
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them