Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

diabetes and hyper

My doctor wants me tested for diabetes because my PH level is off.  I started researching and the two seemed to be linked, but in people who have diabetes first.  I tried exercising last week (running about 3 miles, very slowly) and I felt awful the next day.  Pulse racing, fatigue, upset stomach, dizzy, and then I have had a sweet taste in my mouth!  Exercise is suppose to help, not inflame the symptoms.  I have been on hyper meds for about a week and a half.  Am I pushing too soon?  Can having hyper increase your risk for getting Diabetes?  
There are a few links between diabetes and thyroid disease -- hyperthyroidism increases blood sugar and in many cases both are caused by the immune system attacking the body (pancreas in diabetes and thyroid in Graves/Hashimoto's).

Certainly testing glucose (sugar) levels would sort this out.  But your symptoms may all be from hyperthyroidism or possibly side-effect of the anti-thyroid medication (esp nausea, muscle/joint pain).
When your thyroid levels are off it can cause diabetic symptoms, since RAI my numbers have gradually gotten better. I was told not to overexcersize when I was hyper, heart rate was already high (100 resting) ....I think you are pushing too soon, maybe walking a half mile/mile for would be more reasonable until your levels are stable.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them