Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

meds vs radioactive iodine treatment

After 5 years of low TSH and only occasional palpitations treated with atenolol, I have now converted over to elevated T3 and Free T4 with increasingly annoying palpitations and then a fib. I was put on Toprol XL, warfarin, and then PTU, by cardiology while waiting for my first Endocrine appointment. When I finally saw Endocrine he kept me on the PTU but increased it due to my complaint of frequent palpitations. I don't think the Toprol at 100 2 x day would be wise to increase since my heart rate was 55-65 most of the time.
I was feeling great until the last few days, PTU was increased to 100 3 x day 3 weeks before, my follow up is is in 10 days and will have my T4 checked a week before. Do you think I should push to have to radioactive iodine? I really get more anxious when the palpitations happen and focus on them.
1 Responses
97953 tn?1440868992
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
RAI will destroy the thyroid (assuming this is due to graves or a toxic nodule).  If it is a toxic nodule/s then RAI is preferred over PTU (or the more commonly used anti-thyroid medication, tapazole which is once a day...).  If Graves, then a course (usually about 12 months) of antithyroid drugs will achieve a remission in about 40-50%  of patients meaning that definitive treatment with RAI or surgery is often unavoidable.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.