Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

meds vs radioactive iodine treatment

After 5 years of low TSH and only occasional palpitations treated with atenolol, I have now converted over to elevated T3 and Free T4 with increasingly annoying palpitations and then a fib. I was put on Toprol XL, warfarin, and then PTU, by cardiology while waiting for my first Endocrine appointment. When I finally saw Endocrine he kept me on the PTU but increased it due to my complaint of frequent palpitations. I don't think the Toprol at 100 2 x day would be wise to increase since my heart rate was 55-65 most of the time.
I was feeling great until the last few days, PTU was increased to 100 3 x day 3 weeks before, my follow up is is in 10 days and will have my T4 checked a week before. Do you think I should push to have to radioactive iodine? I really get more anxious when the palpitations happen and focus on them.
RAI will destroy the thyroid (assuming this is due to graves or a toxic nodule).  If it is a toxic nodule/s then RAI is preferred over PTU (or the more commonly used anti-thyroid medication, tapazole which is once a day...).  If Graves, then a course (usually about 12 months) of antithyroid drugs will achieve a remission in about 40-50%  of patients meaning that definitive treatment with RAI or surgery is often unavoidable.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them