Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
245460 tn?1238008096

hi, i am new here and needede a couple of questioned answered please, i was diagnosed in may with GD , TSH was .005, FT3 was 41 20-40  FT4 was 36.6 (4-11).  i received RAI treatment friday, since then i have been having a severe headache, nothing helps , took tylenol, ibuprofen, even loratab don't know what else to do also have a very sore throat sucking on cough drops, hard candys nothing help, even gargling with salt water. before RAI  i had started on tapazole after a couple of weeks i had severe joint cramps ,PAIN so bad i had to have people help me get up. and rash so that was out of the question. my question is what should i do about this headache? it is constent!! can not sleep either  thanks so much Deedee
6 Responses
97953 tn?1440868992
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hyperthyroidism can cause headaches.  RAI (I-131 treatment to ablate the over-active thyroid gland) usually does not.  Your T4 was very high -- if that was not a typo -- so this may be the hyperthyroidism causing it and sometimes RAI can make hyper worse for a bit before it gets better.  

BetaBlockers (ie propanolol or atenolol) may help -- talk to your doc about this.  I assume you are not longer taking the tapazole -- that can cause a headache perhaps as well, although not common.
What is RAI?
245460 tn?1238008096
RAI is Radioactive iodine treatment
Hi Deedee,
have you called your dr? I did not have headaches with RAI, I had mine May 18, nor a very bad sore throat. The joint pain and muscle cra,ps I have still but they're better than before. Hope you're feeling better today, but if the headache is still there you may want to call your thyroid doctor.
245460 tn?1238008096
i called my dr. this past friday he wasn't much help.... He told me that RAI doesn't caused headaches but like i told him, that i didn't have one until after the RAI, my sore throat is a little better but the headache is stil here. i think i am going to go see my regular practioner in the morning maybe he can do something for me. My RAI was 8/3
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.