Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

normal limits for TSH and T4

Hi, I just had a hemi-thyroidectomy and feel hypothyroid symptoms more than ever, but my GP tells me that my TSH  and T4 levels are within normal limits.  Relative to the tests a year ago, the TSH has jumped to 2.95 from 1.2 and T4 from 4 to 9.  He claims they are still normal and I am arguing that they are different than before.  The doctor says that lab's upper limit for TSH normal is 5.0.  I have read that most have adopted 3.0 and there are some endocrinologists who would like to see this lowered to 2.0.  

Meanwhile, I sleep as soon as I get home from work, my hair is falling out, I have gained weight... and everything is blamed on menopause.  Any advice?
With these levels, would usually wait as after a hemi, there tends to be a slight increase in TSH in the first 1-3 months then levels back out in many cases.  2.95 is still probably normal.  If the symptoms persist, a trial of levothyroxine may be indicated, but this may well be a transient situation and you probably don't want to be on medication long-term unless absolutely necessary.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them