Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

pregnant and hypothyroidism

My TSH is 12 and I am 8 weeks pregnant.  My doctor raised my Synthroid medication from .075 to .1.  Is this enough?  12 seems to be extremely high.  Also, isn't this a little late to catch it?  I probably should have been tested earlier, right?  I have an appointment with an endocronlogist (sp?) on Monday, but I'm concerned about the baby now.  What can you tell me?
Thanks for your help.
Sylvia
This should be fine -- the 12 is high, and the dose increase is appropriate, with plan to retest every 4-6 weeks to ensure TSH stays in target of 0.3-2.0 during pregnancy.
Hi Sylvia,
     I have been recently diagnosed with Hypo as well, my levels when I first found out was 17.2, then they went down to 10.7 and now they just raised my dose to 50mcg and now my levels are within normal range 4.1....!!!! Me and my husband have been trying to get pregnant and haven't had any luck well my levels have been out of wack to so that's probably why and I think we have been trying to hard. But my doctor said you want to be on a higher does when you are pregnant so you can keep your levels down...!!!! 12 is high, Seeing a specialist is a great idea, you want to make sure you are getting enough meds for you and the baby it's very important is what I was told... Best of luck to you and please let me know how the progress goes I'm new at this as well, and I'm trying to have a baby...!! GOOD LUCK!

I think the target TSH for pregnancy / getting pregnant is low normal at 1.0 or slightly lower.  During pregnancy they should also test FT3 and Ft4, and these should be maintained at high normal.  Pregnancy hormones interfere with TSH.  My doctor told me they only increase by 0.25 mcg after each test to avoid side effects.... but perhaps with TSH so high they should have increased by a larger amount.

I am also concerned about these issues.  My TSH is very low (always has been).  But now my FT3 and FT4 are both very low normal and am worried if this could have negative impact on my baby.  
A related discussion, 19 weeks pregnant ths get higher!! was started.
A related discussion, Tyroid and Pregnancy was started.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them