Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

thyroid question

I have a question regarding post-pregnancy thyroiditis- I had my baby about a year ago-  I lost over thirty pounds by my 6 week check up-  I continued to lose weight and went under my pre-pregnancy weight of 130 lbs.  I was not complaining- however since I stopped breast feeding a couple of months ago I have steadily gained weight.  I am training for a marathon and running more than ever-  I also use my eliptical machine and do strength training.  I am now up to 143 lbs.  I have heart palpatations, my skin is a mess, headaches, and fatigue.  I had my thyroid level checked when I was working on my masters degree and they said the levels showed hypothyroidism, but I wasn't having any symptoms so they did not treat it.  During pregnancy my levels were checked and I guess they were fine.    Do my symptoms of weight gain sound like they could be thyroid related?
They could be - but the labs would show this -- a phase of hypothyroidism in post-partum thyroiditis is not uncommon but many women recovery fully and do not need long-term replacement. The current thyroid function labs would be the most important in deciding if symptoms are thyroid related.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them