Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

weight gain and thyroid medicine

What could be the cause of weight gain since starting on synthroid.  I have gained approx 20 lbs since I was put on Synthroid that has been about 5 month now.  I exercise and eat a low fat diet.  but the weight keeps coming.

Is there a link between weight gain and taking Thyroid meds.

Aunt_T
There are some people who experience this and it is not clear why.  Usually it does not cause weight gain.  Also remember that most of the 66% of Americans who are overweight do not have a thyroid problem, so it may be a coincidence.   Talk to your doctor about options for thyroid replacement, but there are not many other than combination T4 / T3 (ie adding cytomel or changing to armour).
The same happen to me, I've gain 8 punds in a month since Im on this meds.
I can't tell it's from that, but it' is very frustating.
I was on Synthroid for 2 years now and gained lot of weight. Not sure if this is because of the meds
I can only sympathize with you. My Total Thyroidectomy was one year ago.  I have gained thirty pounds.  I wish someone had a solution.  I take 75 mcg of Levothyroxin daily.  It started out a year ago at 150 mcg.   Who can help us?  It's more than depressing to not have anything to wear.  I just can't keep buying clothes and I have stopped liking to go anywhere.................depressing the heck out of me!!!!!  HELP!!!!
I am 51 years old, take levothyroxin since taking radioactive iodine in June 2008. In the last 2 years I have gained 70 lbs.  I am currently working out 40 minutes a day, 6 days a week, why can't i loose the wait?  This has been the worst experience of my life, I just cannot stand the fact that I am unable to loose weight.  No one said anything about this, and the doctors all said "exercise"  well I am and i am not seeing a difference, should I ask my doctor to change my medecine?
My daughter has been diagnosed hypo for 2 years.  She is taking 90mg of Armour....continued to fight her weight.  She was then diagnosed with PCOS and is now also on 50mg sprinolactone and 1500mg of metformin.  Weight loss is finally possible...has loss 13 lbs in about 2 months.  Don't give up!!!!
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them