Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

weight loss with hypothyroid

I have just started on Armour for my hypothyroid.  I have been on a low carb/ modified balanced eating plan for 5 years.  3 years ago I started putting on weight for no apparent reason.  After taking may tests over the last 2 years to determine what the problem was I was diagnosed with hypothyroid.  The diagnoses made me feel hopeful that the 20 pounds I have gain despite healthy eating and 4 to 5 days of cardio a week would come off once my thyroid levels were back to normal.  Now I am reading all this information that states that even when thyroid levels return weight loss does not happen.  Can someone tell me why this is and what to do about it?  I am 34 years old, have 3 kids, and have always maintained a healthy body and weight.  I have not experienced any depression with the hypothyroid but if I can't get this unhealthy weight off I will be depressed.  I am confused.  If my thyroid caused the weight gain why would it being back in balance again cause the weight to come back off?

Thanks,
cwilson616
1 Responses
97953 tn?1440868992
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Most weight problems are not due to thyroid issues -- even in patients with thyroid disease.  However, hypothyroidism must be treated otherwise diet/exercise is not as effective.  In other words, just being on thyroid medication does not cause much (if any) weight loss -- but it is important to be on medication so that other efforts are effective.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.