Accutane and Thyroid cancer

In april 2006 i was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 26. I was told by my oncologist that only 1% of females my age are diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  After thinking about how accutane affects the endocrine system I was wondering if accutane has been linked to thyroid cancer in young adults?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
tij
I have strong feeling for a long time, that Accutane is what cause it.  it's a rare side effect of it.
Helpful - 0
Accutane is a high form of Vit A. Whilst there can be very serious side effects affecting the liver, I think it is just coincidental about thyroid cancer.
Helpful - 0
My son took Accutane at 16 and at 18 was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer (a lump was found on his Thyroid). After two inconclusive fine needle aspirations he had his thyroid removed along with several nodes (all showed cancer). I don't know if this was related to the Accutane.
Helpful - 0
tij
Hi Richelle,

I also was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age of 31.  I did take Accutane as well, and i've been wondering as well if Accutane was linked to that!!
Helpful - 0
I did a check on the acne drug accutane. It did bring up alot of serious side effects and developing hypothyroidism was discussed. As for cancer, I did not see and relation. That however does not mean it may have not promoted something.

When you are unstable with hypothyroidism, commonly a nodule can form on the thyroid gland. However that nodule forms into cancer, I don't know.

Sorry about the minimal information, there wasn't much out there to really look at.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.