Thyroid Cancer Community
347 Members

Cytomel Withdrawals and RAI

On October 8th, I received a full thyroidectomy and removal of lymph nodes. A few month before this, two nodules were discovered on the right lobe of my thyroid. They were biopsied and one came back suspicious and with it being over 2 cms. The other "benign" nodule ended up being some form of a cyst that also needed to be removed. I went in under the impression it would only be the right lobe coming out but when the pathologist viewed the right lobe - apparently he decided a full cancer surgery needed to be done. I was released on 25 mg 2x of Cytomel. I went back in for my post op appointment where I was told I had "thyroid cancer" and although my cancer hadn't reached my lymph nodes quite yet, I would need RAI. I just recently saw my original Endocrinologist and was told that 2 weeks prior to the RAI that I would need to stop taking my Cytomel completely and go on a low iodine diet. I was also informed that I would be sick. He didn't go into the specifications of the pathology or how sick I would be. So, my question is... How sick will abruptly going off the Cytomel make me and how does the RAI typically effect you? When will I know what form of thyroid cancer I have... I mean, does it come later on that they tell me all this? I've also been experiencing a quaky shaky feeling in my legs and what feels like low blood sugar. Is this normal?
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them