A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer Community
347 Members
16096800 tn?1445276527

Cytomel Withdrawals and RAI

On October 8th, I received a full thyroidectomy and removal of lymph nodes. A few month before this, two nodules were discovered on the right lobe of my thyroid. They were biopsied and one came back suspicious and with it being over 2 cms. The other "benign" nodule ended up being some form of a cyst that also needed to be removed. I went in under the impression it would only be the right lobe coming out but when the pathologist viewed the right lobe - apparently he decided a full cancer surgery needed to be done. I was released on 25 mg 2x of Cytomel. I went back in for my post op appointment where I was told I had "thyroid cancer" and although my cancer hadn't reached my lymph nodes quite yet, I would need RAI. I just recently saw my original Endocrinologist and was told that 2 weeks prior to the RAI that I would need to stop taking my Cytomel completely and go on a low iodine diet. I was also informed that I would be sick. He didn't go into the specifications of the pathology or how sick I would be. So, my question is... How sick will abruptly going off the Cytomel make me and how does the RAI typically effect you? When will I know what form of thyroid cancer I have... I mean, does it come later on that they tell me all this? I've also been experiencing a quaky shaky feeling in my legs and what feels like low blood sugar. Is this normal?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.