Papillary Follicular Thyroid Cancer w/Hurtle Cells>alternative treatment?

Hello - anyone out there who has any research or experience with papillary follicular thyroid cancer with hurthle cells?  My brother had a full thyroidectomy a year ago, followed by RAI and 6.5 weeks of radiation, but the doctors left in one tumor (and didn't tell him) that is very close to the trachea, tucked behind the left clavicle.  They want to go in and see if it is attached to something... If attached, they cannot remove it and would want to do a tracheal dissection with would render him voiceless.  So we need Plan B.  The only thing I have found is gold nanoparticulate therapy by docs at UCSF but I am awaiting word on its progress (successful in animals so far)... My brother's surgery is scheduled for October 12... The more he gets irradiated, the higher the chance of getting lymphoma.  My middle brother already died of leukemia 13 years ago...sigh... If anyone has any good new clinical trial information (besides what's on the NCI, ACS, US clinical trials websites), I'm all ears.  I'm visiting as many cancer hospital websites to see if there's new research/therapies being conducted... Thank you and bless you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

WELCOME to our Community .. here's a link to our health pages.  There may be info there to take a look at.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=1028

Please keep in touch.

C~
Helpful - 0
Wow, that sounds horrible. I hope they can remove it. Sometimes they can use the robotic surgery for very delicate operations, it would be worth looking into.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.