Thyroid Cancer Community
346 Members

Weight gain after thyroid removal

My wife is going to have her thyroid removed  she is hyperthyroid and has lost ninety pounds over the last 5 months she is worried that she will have a large weight gain after surgery. Can this happen
Yes, it can happen, but doesn't have to. I got back down to my pre-surgery weight in about 1 year by walking every day and eating right. Since then I have gained 10 pounds, mostly after the doc reduced my dose. Even after 3 years, I still am not on the optimal dose, so it does take time, however, I have only gained those 10 pounds, not a whole lot.
If you don't mind me asking how much weight did you gain after the surgery. personally I don't care how much she gains but I would like to be prepared for her reaction to it.
and thank you for answering my question.
I had mine out......  I'm a guy.  I put on 7 pounds total but then 30 days later lost it when I got through the initital "jolt".  I'm stable at my pre surgery weight.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them