Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer Community
346 Members

Weight gain after thyroid removal

My wife is going to have her thyroid removed  she is hyperthyroid and has lost ninety pounds over the last 5 months she is worried that she will have a large weight gain after surgery. Can this happen
4 Responses
Yes, it can happen, but doesn't have to. I got back down to my pre-surgery weight in about 1 year by walking every day and eating right. Since then I have gained 10 pounds, mostly after the doc reduced my dose. Even after 3 years, I still am not on the optimal dose, so it does take time, however, I have only gained those 10 pounds, not a whole lot.
If you don't mind me asking how much weight did you gain after the surgery. personally I don't care how much she gains but I would like to be prepared for her reaction to it.
and thank you for answering my question.
1139187 tn?1355710247
I had mine out......  I'm a guy.  I put on 7 pounds total but then 30 days later lost it when I got through the initital "jolt".  I'm stable at my pre surgery weight.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.