Thyroid Disease & Hypothyroidism Forum

thyroid peroxyidase ab high

I am asking about my labs & understanding: I had some lab done I have a sibling w/ Hoshimotis. I have PCOS I am on spironolactone 100mg 2x aday. I am oveweight , have time losing weight,hairloss &some excess hair. Also I am on vitamin d3 gel supplements due to vit d being low last spring but normal  with 6 mths blood test. I have  hi deductable insurance so following w/ my endo is going to cost. Recent labs are: TSH 1.74 (range 0.40-4.50) ,T4 free 1.3 (range0.8-1.8), Thyroglobulin antibodies <20 , Thyroid Perosidase AB 59 (range<35) and Total Testerone 46 (range 3-45). My other issue is I had labs done 6 months prior TSH 4.34 (range0.40-4.50) same lab and T4 free 1.0 (range 0.8-1.8) Then my Tsh was done previous 1 year ago TSH 2.47 same lab. HOW CAN MY TSH LEVEL GO FROM 4.34 (6 MTHS AGO) AND DROP DOWN TO 1.74 NOW? I am confused bec. it looks like I am heading for hyperthyroidism if I am  50 pounds overweight does not make any sense.
Dear Mcmargo,

Thanks for writing in. Currently, all the three thyroid functions test results that you have discussed are in the normal range, except that the thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPO Ab) are slightly elevated.

Variations in the thyroid stimulating hormone levels can occur during the course of a day and can also vary with different assay methods and kits and definitely from laboratory to laboratory. There are several other technical aspects responsible for variation as well. Thus, it is important to interpret the TSH values in consideration with other thyroid parameters. Significantly, all these are in the normal range.

However, a slightly elevated TPO antibodies levels provides us with crucial prognostic information. People with elevated TPO Ab levels are more likely to become hypothyroid than those with no antibodies. So you would need to monitor your thyroid function tests (TFTs) periodically say once in a year. I would like to assure you that you are not heading for hyperthyroidism.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shivaprasad C
how to controls my TSH (7.24)  level .T3 & T4 is normal Range
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.