Thyroid Disorders Community

Any otc ides (vitamins, etc.) for the muscle cramps?

I'm not too well versed but if ok with my kidney stones (cannot take some supplements bcz I create calcium oxalate stones) I am willing to take something to help with the muscle cramps I am getting.  It proceeded into a full blown charlie-horse in the calf this morning ..... any thoughts?

I'm game to try something o-t-c!

All my minerals, vitamins, etc., were good when tested in November with the Endo .. this also included 24hr urine study done by Urologist and all was normal then.

Cheryl
calcium sis works great for muscle cramps
Love Venora
of the kidney stones being calcium oxalate .. :::unless::: I am clinically indicated by low calcium in the bloodwork it is necessary and then has to be given along with citrate so it breaks down so as not to make stones .. nice, huh?  

ALLLLTHOUGH maybe I should try it for a few days and see if it helps at all and then, if so, go back with my findings ?

Also meant to mention I've tried Potassium to no avail .. so it isn't that.

Thanks on the idea :)

C~
BTW, try taking anything with that word "citrate" in it and see how it does on the tummy ... I'm talking major league gas and reflux .. I couldn't do the Pottasium  Citrate prescription when I tried in the beginning for the stones .. and the pottasium was an "inert" ingredient to absorb the Citrate and did nothing for the cramps. UGH.

aw sis I was drinking my milk at lunch when I realized you cant take calcium because of the stone thing.Sorry
Love Venora
Okay you, here's my suggestion.

eat a bowl of organic oatmeal every morning at breakfast, with a handful of pumpkin seeds, a handful of raisins, and a handful of walnuts.  (Kashi Heart-to-heart oatmeal is great!)  

snack: put 10 oz of low calorie minute maid OJ or organic OJ in blender, add a small banana, a 1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries, 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese, and 2 tablespoons of FLAX SEEDS (they are whole and have to be refrigerated or they go rancid, so they are in refrigerated section of health food store!) blend and enjoy!

lunch: bowl of organic black or red beans, organic whole wheat bread or roll, a small spinach salad, with some dressing, a carrot, and a low sodiium V-8

snack: nonfat yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, oh and if you want throw in a handful of seeds, walnuts, or Grape nuts (they make an organic one too now)

dinner: WHATEVER YOU WANT, are you kidding you just ate incredibly healthy all day!  just enjoy it, and don't go overboard, but if you'd like to do healthy, go for a lean meat protein, a good organic whole grain, and at least 1 if not 2 veggies.  So, chicken breast, a meslun salad with dressing, a baked potato, and a organic whole wheat roll! (and if you want butter and sour cream on that potato, go ahead! just use the real thing! and enjoy it!)

add to that a great multi-vitamin and a great Omega 3 supplement.  (Nordic Naturals is a great brand that has omegas from both plant and fish source) (it's called Ultimate Omegas by Nordic Naturals).

That is my suggestion anyhow, you need to start getting foods that contain a lot more mag and calcium in your diet, since you can't take a supplement!  Stress depletes magnesium, but when supplementing you need to take calcium with mag for better absorption, and since you can't do that...EAT IT!!!

I hope you follow this advice, ahem!  ;0) (the secret...i had too!)

Trust me you start putting the right foods in your body, and you will start feeling great very soon!!!  

Nutrition is no quick fix, but it is the right way to do it!!!  

as always take care!

abl
I hope you drank your milk and didn't :::  burp ::::: as you thought of the calcium LOL!
Going to print it out and all the ingredients sound like they are ok except the V8 juice constipates me (I've tried it before for the pottasium boo hoo) and I'm sensitive/intolerant to walnuts so can I substitute almonds ? or some other nut?  I get sores on my tongue and itchy throat from walnuts and pineapples of all things ??

I have magnesium tablets (plain) that I am going to take right now.  I was taking that for the stones and I've forgotten why I stopped so I'll try it again. Cannot hurt.  They had me for the prevention of more stones, taking the mag and pottas/citrate *Urocit K was the name script* and Vit B something.. not the B for iron .. is it 6 or 12 ? but it made me spacy and unable to concentrate .. tried it 3 times to no avail so stopped.

The Urologist said Blueberries I can "OD" on .. they are good for me and the stones, too~~~~!!!!  

Here is my website (written in 1998) where you can scroll all the way down to "e-mail me" and get to me .. then I can reply on the DVD, etc.  THANKS!!!!!  If I post my PO Box here they will zap me off MedHelp forever ROTFLOL!!!!

Website on Reflux in Children:  http://chitchat9-ivil.tripod.com/

I'm all for trying this and other ideas .... Cheryl
I just emailed you my reply...HOW FUN!

will talk soon!

abl
Hmm...

When you've previously passed a kidney stone before you said it was a calcium oxalate stone?  Didn't your physician recommend a calcium-controlled diet because of that?  

I'm not really sure with the kidney stones that you should be taking anything with extra with calcium in it - you don't want to increase the amount of stones you've been making or make existing stones bigger.  I wouldn't want to risk it anyway - I understand the pain is excruciating!  

Good that you've got a magnesium tablet on it's own bcz the amount of magnesium in a multivitamin will be much less and less effective for this purpose.

Best wishes
Hi Cheryl!

Definately increase the Magnesium!  This is what the pharmacist used to recommend where I used to work years ago.  Whenever my hubby gets cramps (so bad he limps for days after) he takes my zinc & magnesium tabs for a few days and he's right.

The other thing recommended by a doctor was to drink Tonic Water - check your label before you buy it and get the one that contains Quinnine.  Quinnine is commonly prescibed for Cramps (in much higher doses of course).  I don't think this will affect your kidney stones but a phone call to check with a pharmacist wouldn't hurt to be sure.

I'm in Australia so I don't know if your FDA allows Quinnine in Tonic Water or not - check ingredients before you buy!

All the best
Jenipeni
THANK you for your post ... I took Magnesium today and I bought some of the foods that ABL suggested AND I took a multi-vitamin with calcium in it.  I will not continue to jump-start and do it all at once as I move fwd bcz I won't know what caused what to happen LOL but like your hubby, my calf hurt all day today from that charlie horse ,.... the good thing is that now I am 100% certain it is muscular and not arthritic pain as it traveled right up that calf in excrutiating pain .......

The good thing with Magnesium is that it helps the stools and I will lower the laxative dosing (Miralax) .. I am all for natural vs. med and maybe the Magnesium will be my wonder pill in more ways than one.

Not sure on the Qunine water but I will look into it .. I've heard the term used before but not sure if yrs ago and if still on the shelf ?  I've heard of gripe water for the babies with colic LOL but don't think that'll help here!

C~
Here was the orig. gameplan that failed for the kidney stones as per my Uro:
Urocit-K (pottasium + mega citrate), Vitamin B6 and Magnesium Citrate.  I couldnt' tolerate any of them at all ... the Urocit-K was a horror story with sharp gas pains,etc. so I then tried the Magnesium by itself w/o the citrate and found I could do that one.  Then I stopped as not so sure what magnesium all by itself would or wouldn't do to help the kidney stones so it was on my shelf in an new jar awaiting the muscle cramps LOL!!!

The one last intricacy of this antibiotic thing is that I was on Augmentum for 3 days when they switched me over to Levaquin (Augmentum for the mini lump surgery on the neck) so both antibiotics overlapped in the system but everybody said it was ok but I was advised not to take the Levquin longer than needed bcz don't want to take a chance with a reaction of 2 antibiotics in the system ... that was the Dermatologist's words .. so not sure what she was eluding to ? but pharmacist said ok to mix them under the circumstances, etc.

As a last unrelated thyroid sidenote and since you are in the med field you may find it interesting that I have a kidney disorder called MSK or Medullary Sponge Kidney which means the tubulers are not formed properly and flare --  thus, I am predisposed to urine pools and stones forming deep inside the medullary of the kidney and not passing easily .. therefore, they can get infected deep in the stone and cause UTI's often but they are too small to zap into little pieces yet not bad enough to go in and capture either!  But now seems most are gone except for some 1mm pesky ones left behind so this is awesome news!!!!  Many have MSK and never know it .............they usually only find it when stones are suspected and an IVP with contrast x-ray is done ... otherwise many MSKer's are asymptomatic and have this since birth and never never know it!

C~
Wow! - Thanks for sharing about your Medullary Sponge Kidney.  I've never heard of it and I love learning new stuff.  Very interesting.  The human body is full of wonders isn't it?  It just facinates me!  I hope I never stop learning till my dying day!  Not planning to be bored anyway!
Cheers!