Armour VS NP Thyroid

Hey folks,

I have been reading a ton about Armour and it seems like they messed up by changing their formula. There is some talk of people finding bottles with softer pills etc

A newer generic version called NP Thyroid is apparently the same formula as the old Armour?

Is Armour now FDA approved? I read they use organic pigs etc in their formulation however no one really knows how NP goes about their business. I've also seen many posts where people are very happy with NP Thyroid? It also seems to have the least amount of fillers compared to Naturethyroid and Armour...

Would love to hear your thoughts. I am very excited to try NDT but want to make sure I start off with the right one
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) has been used since 1891 and has been the standard treatment for hypothyroidism until the 1960's when the recommended treatment was synthetic T4.  

The Compliance Policy Guide (2006) means all unapproved drugs on the market, like NDT, need to be proven safe and effective before being FDA approved.  122 years of NDT used by millions of people is not proof. :)  To date, there have been no clinical trials of NDT.

Manufacturers of approved levothyroxine sodium (tablet or capsule) in the United States:

Abbott - Synthroid
Alara - Levo-T
Jerome Stevens - Unithroid
Jones Pharma/King - Levoxyl
Lloyd (distributed by Forest) - Levothroid
Genpharm
Mylan
Institute Biochimique - Tirosint
Vintage - Levolet (not marketed in the US)

Brands of natural desiccated thyroid available for use in the United States:

Forest Pharmaceuticals - Armour
RLC Labs - Nature-throid, Westhroid
Acella Pharmaceuticals - NP Thyroid
Erfa - Thyroid
Synthroid started the rumors about Armor years ago to merchandise their product. My family many low thyroid have been greatly helped by Armor thyroid and NO progress with synthetics.
Probably not a surprise to many readers here but for those new to the board, records I've read, published online, show Synthroid has issues with inconsistency in ingredients, while Armour and Nature-throid don't!  
But many doctors will tell you just the opposite because far too many take the easy road after they've been programmed by the pharmaceutical industry to parrot the marketing theme of levothyroxine makers.
Kind of disgusting and bewildering for people struggling with these health issues, like myself. We're confronted by an insensitive/downright stonewalling medical practice far too often.
My local doctor refused to renew my nature-throid prescription, which I felt just fine on, because I had an abnormal blood test after I ran out on a long trip to Germany and had to take levo over there for a few weeks.
He said, "I don't know what to do." when he saw the results.
Yes, he actually said that. That's comforting, doc, good to hear.
He insisted I see an endocrine MD before he'd refill my NT prescription that I'd been taking for 7 years!
I told him I couldn't get an appointment with the endocrine MD until after I would run out. He didn't budge. "Well, I don't know what your results means."
"Yes, but doctor, I've been taking NT for years! It's not a problem, I feel fine. But if I don't take my NT, I'll crash, it's two weeks later before I can even get in to the endo. The blood test only showed a spike because I had to take the levo in Germany, which probably wasn't the right dosage.  I need the NT now!"
"Well," he replied, handing me a sheaf of papers showing the efficacy of levothyroxine, sent to him by the makers of Synthroid (levo), "read this. Synthetics have consistent dosage and they have all you need.  And besides, I don't know what's wrong with your blood tests."
I quit his practice after that. Ignorant or pharma-compromised doctors are contributing to our poor health, certainly not helping.
If you have a doctor, even one you like or have been with for a long time, tell them you want a full thyroid panel of blood tests, not just the standard tsh/t3 or whatever the minimal testing insurance companies supposedly dictate calls for.
It's a disgrace. You don't have to be a victim of it.

I'm now working with an integrative doctor in northern Mass. She ordered a full range of blood tests which showed my dosage of NT was low, my adrenals are low, I have Hashimoto's antibodies so I probably have that as well, and now at last I'll be treated accordingly. I expect some improvement in my health.
Meanwhile, my former doctor who pushed levo and turned his nose up at NDT formulations like Armour and NT has left town. A boon for us who live here.
Hi  I have the same health issues and I have had Ayurvedic MDs and Functional Medicine MDs and they all have moved on or away so I have been going to a Dr. who has very little knowledge about my particular thyroid issues. She wants to send me to an Endo and pays little attention to TPO antibodies or reverse T3 and advocates getting flu shots, so not the best match for me. I would be most appreciative if you could give me info on your Dr. as I am in Northern MA. too and need someone knowledgeable. I would be most appreciative and I am North of Boston.    
I just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page click on messages.  
60mg (1 grain) NP Thyroid is unavailable most places right now. I talkked to the company and they said it would be back at pharmacies by end of June.

I have been on it for over a year. I tracked down a pharmacy that still had some 60mg on hand and I noticed the smell is not as pungent as my last bottle-still trying to figure out what that means as the company also told me it has not been reformulated. This remains to be seen.

I think it's hit or miss with both of them as they have both been out of stock at different times, although this is the first time I had to go looking. I have heard that some people who were never on the old Armour say they do just fine on Armour now and that chewing it helps absorption.
I'm on Armour, I cut mine in 1/2 and they kind of fall apart, I also chew whats left, I'm really happy with Armour, kind of curious about NP If it has less fillers, that would even be better, I wish we could get Thyroid by Urfa from Canada, it has very few fillers and binders. but its hard to get a perscription here in the US.
Always remember- stick with what works for you!!!
Armour and Nature Throid are similar, both (since '09) use micro crystalline cellulose as the filler/binder. In the past is was sugar based.

Technically, NP Acella and Erfa are close to each other , both use dextrose for a filler (a sugar) and are closest to old Armour and Nature Throid (pre '09).

People with stomach absorption problems may do best with dextrose filler. As as plus, dessicated with dextrose can be taken sublingually with excellent results - as long as you swish out your mouth after eating.

What works best is proven by personal trial, as we are all different.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It makes sense.
XXO
I just started taking NP thyroid, from Armour, I have changed over the years, instead of just staying with the same one. My cousin who works for a pharmacy told me about it, and the word is that it is better, more improved, than Armour. I did take it sublingually, I absorb more efficiently anything I take that way. I wish they would produce one that helped with weight loss and maintenance.
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also please tell us about any other symptoms you have.  
About 6 months ago my pharmacy switched me to NP. After about 5 months I started having a strange sensation of my heart beating very hard in my upper chest.  It would sometimes make my chest ache out to my shoulders. It would make me tired. I also felt like I had a lump in my throat and a sore throat.  I had an EKG, Nuclear Stress Test, Heart Ultrasound, and one costly blood test for soft calcification.  Everything was fine. I went to WebMD ad read the reviews of NP. Lots of low reviews.  Switched back to Armour.  Symptoms gone in two days. I take Armour sublingually.
U chew Armour?  Just curious what it taste like?  And does it work better
PM me if interested in buying a good NDT brand at low cost from abroad.
What kind and does insurance pay?
Where abroad? Help
I have been on Armour thyroid and doing well,  my dose was up'd to 60mg so I was taking that dose of Armour until I picked up new script and I was given NP thyroid instead,  been on it for 3 days and I end up in the bathroom , not sure I am liking this medication. Anyone else have this issue?