A
A
A
Close
393419 tn?1228447393

Atenolol & Grave's Disease

Hello.
I am a newly diagnosed Grave's patient.
When I met with my endo, he put me on Atenolol while I weigh my treatment options.
My concern is that I am taking 25mg 4 times a day (every 6 hours) and all of the literature I''ve read online lead me to believe that there should be at least 8 hours between doses if not more.
I'm worried that I'm taking too much.

Thanks!
3 Responses
Call your doctor or ask your druggist for verification on what is right.  Your doctor might have reasons but you won't know unless you call or ask.
383437 tn?1200539160
I was on atenalol for 8 years.  I only took 50mg 1 time per day.  I was recently (October) taken off atenalol because it made my heart rate way too slow.  I am sure your doctor has a reason for you being on such a high dose and only 6 hours apart.  I was still having heart palpatations on atenalol.  I was also diagnosed with Grave's disease but have been recently diagnosed, AGAIN, with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  

Good luck.
369861 tn?1306275686
My cardiologist put me on 50 mg of atenolol once a day.  I took this for 2 years until my allergist took me off about 6 months ago.  Since I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroid, the endo dr put back on atenolol 25mg once a day or if the palpitations get to be too much take one more.  I have never taken more than 2 a day.

Please ask the doctor and pharmacist.  Let them know that you just want to make sure.

Gook Luck
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child