Been taking levothyroxine 0.05 mg...

Hi, I've recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've been taking levothyroxine 0.05 mg for a little over a month now. I immediately noticed improvements. My tierdness faded, and I felt more energetic overall. However, for the past three days, I began to notice the same symptoms I had before taking the medication. I feel tired, and there is a funny slightly choking feeling in my throat. I just took a two hour nap and I'm still tired. Should I be concerned about this?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Get your levels checked again, you may need an increase.
What was yr TSH, FT3 and FT4 when you first started with the T4 med?
I think my TSH was 6.something... I don't know the exact number though. When do doctors usually increase the dosage?
Since Levothyroxine is a T4 type med, it does not reach full effectiveness in the body for 4-6 weeks.  In addition, 50 mcg is a relatively small amount, so I totally agree with Smilerdeb that you need to get your free T3 and free T4 and TSH checked about 6 weeks after starting meds and see if you need an increase.  I would have expected the doctor to schedule this from your last tests.  Make sure that the doctor tests you for FT3 and FT4, not total T3 and total T4.  If you want to understand the importance of this, please read my recent reply to a post from moinkhan.