Thyroid Disorders Community

Benign thyroid nodules turning cancerous?

I have one large thyroid nodule that has been biopsied twice. First time indeterminate (Nov '16) and second (April 17') time benign. However I had no time to actually discuss results with the doctor either time and was only called by his resident to give me the results - no discussion. Unfortunately that doctor has passed away so I am kind of at a loss. The nodule is quite large and more recently I have had consistent, mostly mild sore throat and one weird case of laryngitis. I literally woke up one morning and couldn't talk for over a week for no reason. Just curious on if anyone else has had anything similar? Should I get a second opinion?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, you should ask for another ultrasound to see if the nodule has grown or if its characteristics have changed.  Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's or Graves Disease?  Nodules can swell or become inflamed with either of these autoimmune conditions and can cause a sore throat and other symptoms; however, it's recommended that an ultrasound is performed annually to make sure nothing has changed.

Do you have hypo or hyperthyroidism? Are you taking any type of thyroid medication or have you have any thyroid blood work done, such as Free T4, Free T3, TSH, or thyroid antibody tests?  If you've had any of those tests done, feel free to post results with reference ranges and that will help us determine your actual thyroid status.

I have not been diagnosed with any sort of thyroid issue.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Have you ever had any of the tests done that I mentioned above?  Do you have any symptoms of a thyroid disorder - hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?  Symptoms could include fatigue, constipation, diarrhea, hair loss, cold or heat intolerance, muscle aches/pains, high cholesterol if you're female, menstrual abnormalities, hand tremors, heart palpitations, rapid heart rate or low heart rate, dry itchy skin and many others.