Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members

Big Mess

I was diagnosed with hashimotos hypothyroidism around may of this year (TSH 13 Ft4 ?). I was put on 75mcg of synthroid. Aftter six weeks my blood test was normal (TSH 1.8 Ft4 1.7). Then a few weeks ago I got to the point where I could not sleep at all. I went almost a week without sleep. I had also been feeling crappy all the time. I am actually a division 1 college runner....and I could not run like my normal self. Anyways so I went to get another blood test and my tsh was .0 something and Ft4 was 3. So now I am hyperthyroid. I was told to stop medication. My doctor does not know why I changed like that. She said maybe I have thyroiditis. So I have to go in every week and get a blood test to see how my FT4 changes. So far it is heading down. It went from 3 to 2.4 in a week. But now I get really hot all the time and I feel sea sick. I walked into class the other day and got real dizzy for a moment. I have to spend too much time laying and bed and it is almost impossible to study. So anyone else experiencing this or have any comments? I really would like some help with this. Thanks.
2 Responses
176838 tn?1211460374
There is a condition that causes a person to swing from hypo to hyper.  And some people are super sensitive to thyroid hormone replacement.  It may just be that your dosing needs to be adjusted down.  Are you seeing an endocrinologist and if so does s/he do a lot of thyroid care?  Many endos do mainly diabetes and know very little about treating people with thyroid problems.  I'm surprised the doctor is having you go in every week for blood tests.  Thyroid hormone lasts a long time in the body and most of us have our labs tested every 4-6 weeks as it can take that long for a change to be seen when a medicine is adjusted up or down (or started or stopped).  If you aren't already seeing an endo I would suggest getting a referral to see one (if you need it).  It seems like you don't have a "simple" case - meaning a definite diagnosis that responds quickly to medicine.  An endo may be able to pin point exactly what is going on faster and with less guess work.  

I haven't been through what you have but I do know what it feels like to swing between hypo & hyper.  We're here for you and please feel free to vent or ask any questions that you have.  Welcome to the board :-)

Rayne
Thanks  Rayne for your commet. I have only gone to an endo for my thyroid. I am pretty sure that she does deal a lot with thyroids though. I know that the tsh takes at least six weeks to even change, but ft4 changes a lot faster then that. Since I am in the middle of my cross-country season, they are just trying to figure out what the heck my body is doing.
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child