Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Calcium Levels

Any help would be appreciated. In 2003 I had thyroid removed for Hurthle cells. Had no problems and have been on 88 mcg of Synthroid since. In July I went to my primary Dr. for yearly test and was told Thyroid, PTH normal but my calcium levels are below normal. Was told to take calcium supplements and get retested. I have been retested twice and still below normal. The only symptons are that my legs cramp at night and lips feel weird. My primary care Dr. now tells me she wants me to go back to the endocronologist.  Is this really necessary??? I hate going to the endo, I can't even talk to a human when I call their office. I have to leave a message and they will call back and I could be dead before the appointment. I have read online that over the long run this could be a problem but not really sure what the endo is going to do different than the primary Dr.
I highly recommend you see an endo. I had a problem with hypocalcemia after my TT in Dec 06.  My fingers, toes, and mouth started tingling.  Then a few hours later my hands cramped up so bad I couldn't even pick up a plastic cup. This scared the begesus out of me!!!!  Mty surgeon had no clue why I went into hypocalcemia so quickly after my TT and why my calcium level wouldn't come up.  My endo realized that because I had Graves Disease (along with thyca) that I was more prone to hypocalcemia.  If I didn't have such a good endo who knows what could have happened to me??? As is, I had to stay in the  hospital for 6 days before my calcium came up to an acceptable level.  I then had to take 2 types of calcium supplements for about 2-3 months.  

Hypocalcemia is very treatable, but left untreated hypocalcemia can lead to serious repercussions like causing you to stop breathing and have convulsions.  It mainly occurs due to a deficiency of parathyroid hormone, inefficient parathyroid hormone, or deficiency of Vitamin D. It may be seen alongside hypomagnesemia. More specifically, causes include:

Absent parathyroid hormone (PTH)
Hereditary hypoparathyroidism
Acquired hypoparathyroidism
Hypomagnesemia
Following parathyroidectomy, "Hungry Bone Syndrome"
Following thyroidectomy, the parathyroid glands are located very close to the thyroid and are easily injured or even accidentally removed during thyroidectomy
Ineffective PTH
Chronic renal failure
Absent active vitamin D
Decreased dietary intake
Decreased sun exposure
Defective Vitamin D metabolism
Anticonvulsant therapy
Vitamin-D dependent rickets, type I
Ineffective active vitamin D
Intestinal malabsorption
Vitamin-D dependent rickets, type II
Pseudohypoparathyroidism
Deficient PTH
Severe acute hyperphosphatemia
Tumor lysis syndrome
Acute renal failure
Rhabdomyolysis (initial stage)
Osteitis fibrosa following parathyroidectomy
Exposure to hydrofluoric acid
As a complication of pancreatitis

Symptoms
Perioral tingling and parasthesia, 'pins and needles' sensation over the extremities of hands and feet. This is the earliest symptom of hypocalcemia.
Tetany, carpopedal spasm are seen.
Latent tetany
Trousseau sign of latent tetany (eliciting carpal spasm by inflating the blood pressure cuff and maintaining the cuff pressure above systolic)
Chvostek's sign (tapping of the inferior portion of the zygoma will produce facial spasms)
Tendon reflexes are hyperactive
Life threatening complications
Laryngospasm
Cardiac arrhythmias
EKG changes