Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Can overtraining cause a rise in TSH levels?

My doctor recently diagnosed me with hypothyroid.  My TSH levels went from 4.8 in August to 5.84 in October.  I fall into none of the risk categories (other than being female), have no family history of hypothyroid, and tested negative for the Hashimoto's antibodies.  Less than a year ago my TSH levels tested fine.  I'm 29.

My endocrinologist is still insisting that I have Hashimoto's, despite the negative test on the antibodies..  

My question is this: before my test in August I was in the middle of training for a 70 mile road cycling race in the mountains.  3 months prior to this race I had done a 100 mile cycling race, and prior to that I spent the winter doing several half marathons.  And before that I did a full marathon in October.  After my test in August, before my second test, I did a half-ironman triathlon.  I haven't had a significant break in training for almost 2 years.  Is it possible that my hypothyroidism could result from overtraining instead of being truly hypothyroid?

I've read several articles online suggesting that overtraining can lead to decrease in thyroid function.  I asked my doctor and she dismissed this, saying "she likes to encourage exercise." and that I should keep going, and that all I needed was the hormone pills.  Unfortunately since I"ve been on the pills I've lost all appetite, have a mild persistant headache, and have become increasingly sensitive to light.  I asked about these symptoms and she said that the pills wouldn't cause these side effects.  

So I'm wondering if the doctor could be wrong.  Could I just be overtrained?  I have an appointment with a different endocrinologist in January, but wanted to see if maybe I was just taking internet literature too seriously.  Thanks!
Could I just be overtrained?
-I highly doubt it.

Please post your antibody testing. For Hashi testing you need TgAb and TPO . BOTH.

It would be good to post free t3 and free t4 too.

"hormone pills" - Very vague statement. Its my guess you are on Synthroid?

Antibody test results:

TPO ANTIBODY (86376)  
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10.0  IU/ML  

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY
THYROGLOBULIN AB <20.0  IU/ML

And yes, I'm on Levothyroxine

And they didn't test my free t3 or free t4, only my TSH:

TSH (THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE)
   TSH, 3RD GENERATION 5.87    

and my test from August:

TSH, 3RD GENERATION 4.80 MIU/L

Sorry, I got the decimal points mixed a bit.

COMMUNITY LEADER
I don't understand your TPO Antibody (86376) -- what is that number?

I've read that it's possible to have Hashi's and test negative for antibodies.  

TSH is a very volatile hormone and can fluctuate wildly, even intraday.  You need to have Free T3 and Free T4 tested so you know exactly what the thyroid hormone levels are.

I agree with LazyMoose, that it's unlikely for your training to have caused you to be hypo.

Have  you had an ultra sound to see if your thyroid is swollen or if you have nodules?
Sorry, I just missed stripping out that number (I think it's a lab number or something), and I couldn't figure out how to go back and edit it.

They haven't done an ultrasound or anything, just stuck me on the levothyroxine pills.  They did feel my thyroid externally, and said it felt normal?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I don't have any faith in a doctor who doles out thyroid med, based solely on a TSH level.  S/he will keep you sick much longer than is necessary.

If you can't get them to test FT3 and FT4, you need to find a different doctor asap.  
TPO ANTIBODY (86376)  
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10.0  IU/ML  

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY
THYROGLOBULIN AB <20.0  IU/ML

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The info below I believe are ranges not your actual results:

THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10.0  IU/ML   - Over 10.0 and your positive.

THYROGLOBULIN AB <20.0  IU/ML -            Over 20.0 and your positive

So where are you?
That's all I got from the lab results.  Here's the whole thing from the table

TPO ANTIBODY
Profile/Panel/Test                               Value               Unit             Normal Range
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB            <10.0               IU/ML             <35
Comment:  

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY
Profile/Panel/Test                             Value                 Unit                Normal Range
THYROGLOBULIN AB                     <20.0                 IU/ML               <20
Comment: