Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can you get better with this or just live with it

Has any body here really gotten better or have you just learned to live with your thyroid? I was just wondering ,because I just hate this and some days feel better but most days feel worse, I know I am new to this and it takes time to get meds adjusted but I guess I am just looking for some hope here. Because just when you think the meds are doing good ,then BAM you get the same old feelings again have a blood test and whoops you need meds adjusted again or you have new symptons. Guess I want to hear some good stories and so far just have not seen any. Please tell your story because I know I really want to hear them.
Angie
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am one of the members that Barb mentioned that found this Forum over 3 years ago and from what I learned, I have finally been able to get past 25 years of lingering hypo symptoms that I still had, even though I was taking 200 mcg of T4 med.  After learning here about the importance of testing  and adjusting FT3 and FT4, I got the additional testing done and found that my FT4 was very high in the range, but FT3 was low in the range.  After switching from T4 meds, to NDT type, my FT4 is now at midpoint of range, and FT3 in the upper part of its range, and I feel best ever.  

The most important thing is to find a good thyroid doctor that will treat you clinically by testing and adjusting free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  By the way good thyroid doctors are not very plentiful.

You might get some good info from this link.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Generally, people who do well with their thyroid treatment, don't seek out help forums, such as this one; however, there are quite a few who come, gotten help and left.  Some return now and then, others don't.

Yes, there are those of us who actually get better.  There are a few of us who have stuck around to help pay forward the help we got.  I'm one of those.  When I came to the forum 3 yrs ago, I was very ill.  Through the help of members of the forum, I learned which tests to insist on, how to evaluate lab reports, and other things to look out for.  While I had a lot of ups and downs, along the way, and I do have some lingering symptoms, at times (when I need med adjustments), for the most part, I consider myself "well" again.

There are others, as well, who have gotten better and are still here; maybe they will weigh in later.  

It often takes a long time to get the medication adjusted just right for your body and most doctors think that if you're "in range", you are fine, when that's not the case because we are all different.

All of that said, if you could post your latest thyroid lab results, with reference ranges, which vary from lab to lab, we can help assess you situation and possibly provide some guidance.  

We would also need to know what thyroid medication you're on and what symptoms you have.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.