Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Can you lose your voice completely after a TT?

I had a Total Thyroidectomy in Aug 2010, lost my voice for 8 months. The Doctor said that he nicked my nerves on my voice box during surgery and that is what he felt caused the voice loss. After regaining my voice I still lost/lose my voice a few days every month. Last year I felt a lump in the side of my neck, so I was sent to get a scan and it showed 20 % Thyroid Function, apparently it is growing back with a Cyst attached to it. I was then sent to see a Specialist at the Cancer Center to follow up, after finding out that it is not Cancer (Thank God!) I mentioned how I lose my voice, he did a procedure where he numbed my nose and ran a camera down my throat, when he did he said that my left side of my voice box is paralyzed, and that it is too late for Surgery. I lost my voice after speaking for 20 min straight at my work the night before Thanksgiving, and it kept going from a whisper to a hoarse sound for a few days, got it back that Sunday, lost it again the Monday after until this past Saturday, got it back until yesterday at noon. My ? is has anyone else ever experienced this type of on again off again loss, and should I fear that I will lose my voice completely one day?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I've not known anyone who had this done.  You would have to consult with the specialist to determine whether or not the paralysis is progressive or not.