Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Concerned About the Heart

Folks, I found out this evening that I'm actually slightly HYPO already--at almost ten weeks since the RAI. I'm going to start tomorrow on a very low dose of replacement and have more blood work in a month. Meanwhile, though, after complaining about certain "new" symptoms--such as getting tired and worn-out easily and having some shortness of breath after exerting myself--the doc has decided to do a stress test. He said it could just be my heart and organs trying to adjust to the changes going on. I was so hyper for long and now in a short time I'm going "under," but to be safe he wants to make sure I don't have some sort of blockage to the heart. This scares me to think about a little bit. Has any one else been through this? He said thyroid patients and diabetics are at an increased risk for heart problems (which I already knew). Has any one had a stress test and found out their heart is actually OK, like I hope and pray mine is?

Meanwhile, I get to stop wearing the CardioPAL event monitor in less than a week, which makes me happy. I'm just so worried about the heart thing now. I am WAY too young to have a heart condition.  
Hi Ed. Don't know a whole lot, but my dad was hypo and unmedicated for a few years. By the time he started back on treatment, he had to start low because his heart was enlarged, his BP was high and his cholesterol was very high. After several dosage adjustment over the span of about a year, his heart is normal size, his BP is "perfect" and so is his cholesterol.
Hope this eases your mind a little.
D.
Thyroid can cause sooo many symptoms.. I have had heart palpitations for a while and they say thay are only with hyper but my endo said nope they are with hypo too! I had a full heart work up to and all was fine with me as I am sure will be with you too.
I've had several stress tests on my heart (for problems I've had since birth) and I always have gotten results very quickly, so hopefully you'll find out soon!

I'm Hypo and have had bouts of high BP, which my cardiologist was puzzled about because I'm 26, very thin, and eat super healthy. Glad to see that it could have been a symptom of hypo all along.
I just saw that you are from Batesville, IN. I'm not in IN anymore but used to live in Clark County and then Johnson County. I had an excellent cardiologist in Indianapolis named Karen Mahakian. http://www.thecaregroup.com/newsite/phys_dir/phys_bio.asp?ID=99C136C0CFA011D39DE50080ADB11193 I had a great experience with her and considered her to be caring, knowledgeable, and respected my time.
Hi.  Actually you are my age.  I'm not sure about what the RAI is all about but yes I have been told I'm hypothyroid and have low sugar along with high chol, hsCRP, etc, etc.  
My EKG's all stink due to an interatrial septal aneurysm.  At one time a 2nd degree Mobitz ll blockage.  Ouch.  No pacemaker though.  Corrected it's self and now I have an EF of 53%.  Ya.  BP and HR changes are a trip at times but manageable.

Do they have you on a beta blocker?  Keep watch of your temp and check to know if your BP and HR ok?  For best results (while wearing your event monitor) try not to stress about the monitor.  It's your friend that will help you to understand that maybe everything will be ok. ;-)  Take care;  Amy
Thanks everyone for the feedback, and thank you Rachel for the info for the cardiologist in Indy.
Yes, I'm on a beta blocker--80mg of Propranolol SA. I remember reading on here where someone said they had problems taking the generics that come in pink or half pink capsules. That's interesting, because I never had such irregular heartbeats when I took the regular propranolol (Inderal) that came in blue tablets. Also, I'm taking Zyprexa for mood swings and anxiety (along with some Xanax), and I read that this drug has been linked to congestive heart failure and diabetes and blood sugar problems, so I really want to get off of it.
I was supposed to get my prescription for Levoxyl filled yesterday but the pharmacy was actually out of the medicine and told me it would be there Monday. I can't believe it. Seems like they could've gotten it a little quicker. So now I'm worried about starting on that one. Does any one on here take Levoxyl? I just hope I don't have a bad reaction to it or something. He's starting me on a very low dose.