Thyroid Disorders Community

Do I need thyroid meds and will my weight go down ?

Last year I found out that my T.S.H. was 6.45. I had a sonogram on my thyroid due to a family history of thyroid cancer. Sonogram was clear ! I have crazy weight gain that is a struggle to try to lose ! Brittle finger nails, fatigue, etc. my doctor appt is later this month ! Is it very possible that I will be put on meds ? Will they help ? Is it possible that after a while on meds, I will be more able to lose weight ?
You will find it easier to lose weight when your metabolism increases with the help of thyroid medication. Also limit added sugar and refined carbohydrates. You may also be carbohydrate intolerant and need to limit carbs in general.
When you see the doctor later this month you need to request to be tested beyond TSH.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that cannot be shown to correlate well with either Free T4 or Free T3, which are the biologically active thyroid hormones, much less correlate well with symptoms, which should be most important.  So, you should request tests for both Free T4 and Free T3.   If the doctor resists, just insist on those and don't take no for an answer.  Since hypo patients are frequently too low in the range for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, I also suggest testing those.  

Then when test results are available, please post results and reference ranges and we will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  

Keep in mind that a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some good insight from this link written by a good thyroid doctor.  

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html