Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Elevated Calcium, Muscle Twitching / Weakness - Hyperparathyroidism?

I am a 25 year old male.  I have been having muscle twitching and weakenss.  I first thought ALS, but neuro and GP say no way.  I recently had blood work done twice, and my red cell count and calcium levels were high.  They are doing additional tests.  I am getting a full thyroid workup, such as t3, t4...etc.  I also got a chest x-ray last night.

Is is possible that I have hyperparathyroidism...and that this could be causing the symptoms I am experiencing with my muscles?

Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tony
Yes, you have symptoms of hyperparathyroidism....especially the high calcium levels.  You may want to ask Dr. Lupo (thyroid forum) for his opinion.  Ultimately, I think you just need to wait for your labs to come back and see what your doctor thinks.  Best wishes.
My calcium is just mildly elevated.  It should be at 10 when it is currently at 12.  I also have a high red blood cell count and am being treated for anxiety.  

I wish I could post for the doctor...but the limit of questions gets full real quick.

I am doing a 24 hour urine sample this weekend.  I am getting an EMG next week because of my muscular symptoms.  

My main symptoms are right arm and leg weakness, muscle twitching, fatigue.  

Do you think with that coupled with mildly elevated calcium, that a dx of hyperparathyroid is possible?
A person with hyperparathyroidism may have severe symptoms, subtle ones, or none at all. Increasingly, routine blood tests that screen for a wide range of conditions including high calcium levels are alerting doctors to people who, though symptom-free, have mild forms of the disorder.

When symptoms do appear, they are often mild and nonspecific, such as a feeling of weakness and fatigue, depression, or aches and pains. With more severe disease, a person may have a loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, confusion or impaired thinking and memory, and increased thirst and urination. Patients may have thinning of the bones without symptoms, but with risk of fractures. Increased calcium and phosphorous excretion in the urine may cause kidney stones. Patients with hyperparathyroidism may be more likely to develop peptic ulcers, high blood pressure, and pancreatitis.

The list of signs and symptoms mentioned in various sources for Hyperparathyroidism includes those listed below. Note that Hyperparathyroidism symptoms usually refers to various symptoms known to a patient, but the phrase Hyperparathyroidism signs may refer to those signs only noticable by a doctor:

No symptoms
Loss of calcium from bones due to increased blood calcium levels
Mild forms of the condition have relatively mild symptoms:
Vague symptoms
Weakness
Fatigue
Depression
Aches
Severe forms have other symptoms:
Loss of appetite
Nausea
Vomiting
Constipation
Abdominal pain
Excessive thirst
Excessive urination
Bone pain
Muscle aches
High blood pressure
Confusion
Emotional behavior
Impaired thinking
Impaired memory
Delirium
Stupor
Coma
Thinning bones
Risk of fractures
Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels)
Symptoms from underlying cause
Tiredness
Mood changes
Confusion
Kidney stones
Bone pain
Constipation
That post really didn't answer my question though.  Does it sound like I could possibly have hyperparathyroidism?  Also, does muscles twitching and weakness accompany the disease?

Yes your symptoms comes with Hyperparathyroidism, but so does other health issues.

You would need more testing as to whether it is or sounds like Hyperparathyroidism.  Such as: Was your Serum phosphate level and Parathyroid hormone blood level high as well?  and how is your blood pressure? Blood calcium levels may be elevated in cases of thyroid disorder, multiple myeloma, metastatic cancer, multiple bone fractures, milk-alkali syndrome, and Paget's disease.

Muscle twitching and weakenss are typical symptoms of both hypo and hyper and other causes as well, and depending where on the body twitching is. Benign twitches (not caused by disease or disorders) Often affecting the eyelids, calf, or thumb. Normal and quite common, often triggered by stress or anxiety, A diet deficiency, Drug overdose (caffeine), Drug side effect (such as diuretics, corticosteroids and estrogens), and Exercise.

Weakness of muscle Symptoms suggestive of a neurological cause of fasciculations. Neurological illnesses where fasciculations are seen include: Chronic denervation of muscle due to disc compression of nerve exiting the spinal cord
ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), Spinal muscular atrophy, Muscular dystrophy, and Myopathy.

I am wishing you the bettter outcome. If this doesn't satisfy you as to your question, I am sure the Dr can assist.

Good Luck!

Man you and I are in the same boat. I too have very similar symptoms. Twitching,weak muscles, Major Fatique. Had a Thyroid test done twice. Still within Normal but TSH was always near low and I did have TSI antibodies which indicates Graves I think,but that too was below thw 125 mark for normal . It was at 92