Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Elevated TSH with some possibly hypo symptoms.

Hello all. I am a 32 year old non smoker with no previous medical issues. Lately I've been experiencing some odd heart rate changes and extreme fatigue and cold sensitivity especially in extremities. My heart rate at rest laying down (when I'm calm and not stressed can be as low as 57 bpm. I'm by no means a well conditioned athlete... In fact I am out of shape and de-conditioned if anything. When I stand, my heart rate shoots up to the 110's or 120's. It will sometimes normalize a bit (down to low 100's) but won't go below that even though I'm relaxing standing still. Very light exercise causes it to go above 160. If I go into a crouch position. It falls rapidly, back to the 60's or low 70's. Then, upon standing again, shoots back to over 100. This has been happening for the last few months. Makes it very hard to get anything physical done. Sometimes I experience a brief arrhythmia (feels like a skipped beat or pause, then a hard sudden beat) but it only happens sporadically and without a known trigger. It can happen at rest, sitting standing or lying down. I was wondering what could cause me to have borderline bradycardia at rest laying down and tachycardia standing without activity. I know POTS can cause this (haven't been diagnosed) but what concerns me is how I can bring about such abrupt changes based on body positioning alone. These fluctuations happen rapidly.
My other symptoms during this are extreme fatigue (cannot work or do prolonged housework most days)
Cold extremities (especially feet)
Muscle weakness with limited activity
Brain fog and confusion- difficulty focusing and concentrating
All this had a definite onset around mid October last year with no seeming trigger and started mild and has now worsened to me being very inactive. I used to go to the gym several days a week and hike for miles. This is destroying my life.
All my blood tests/labs seem to be normal except for a TSH level of 5.48 last month. (Waiting on results of retest I had last week)
I know that level isn't far out of range but it is out of range and I seem to have some hypo symptoms. Mr primary doc says my tsh would have to be way out of range for me to be symptomatic but I don't agree. I'm waiting on my more recent test results which will also show ft4/ft3. I just got done with a 24 hour holter monitor and will be awaiting those results. Even the tech who did my ekg said the changes she saw laying vs. standing vs. crouching were very odd. She did ekg snapshots in each position. But what could be causing this?
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
1 Responses
649848 tn?1534637300
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hypothyroidism can cause all of those things to happen, in spite of the "not very high" TSH... Your doctor is horribly wrong in saying that your TSH would have to be "way out of range" to be symptomatic... Many people are symptomatic with TSH "in range".  The reason for this is because TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone and it does not correlate with symptoms at all.  

Free T4 and Free T3 are the actual thyroid hormones, with Free T3 being the one that correlates with symptoms and one can even be symptomatic if FT3 and FT4 are "in range", if they are too low in the ranges.

When I was really hypo, my heart rate was dropping into the low 30's when I slept... I also had some rapid heart rates and palps, along the way, as well.

When you get your test results, please post them, with the reference ranges and we'll be able to better advise you.
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.