Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Exercise with Graves

Hi All,

How do people go with exercising with Graves diease. My T4 are elevated at present and pulse rate is fast with frequent bouts of anxiety and palpatations and feeling ike crying. Yet weight is stacked on after holidays and joined a Gym to help lose weight.  It is difficult to keep my pulse at safe levels and have any energy after to get tea?

Does anyone else have these problems - do you have any suggestions - it is important to me to improve my fitness but I do not want to expire at 44.

Kipp44
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
550622 tn?1247656720
Last year, when I was first diagnosed, I was losing weight, heart pounding, shaky hands, loss alot of muscle tissue.  Most symptoms are gone.  My Endo has me walking everyday at least 25 minutes.  At first he told me no weight bearing forms of exercise as it was hard on the heart.

Walking and eating the right kinds of foods (high fiber and low carbs) has helped tremendously.
Helpful - 0
Take it slow and try walking over running/cardio. It took me almost a full year to get back into shape and while I was figety all the time, my muscles got weak and tired by just standing when I was my worst.  The best thing is to try and control the food intake, and keep walking as much as you can...and be patient. This disease takes awhile to get under control, but it is possible to get back.
Helpful - 0
599954 tn?1227493985
I have hyperthyroid...I do have problems keeping motivated...My heart races...and it makes me feel exhausted..I have no motivation ..Im just pooped...I have also lost alot of weight.  I do what I need to and that is it.

I take methimazole twice a day, but still feel my heart pounding constantly.  
Helpful - 0
Hi Stella - what happended with the storming - what were the symptoms?
Kipp44
Helpful - 0
393685 tn?1425812522
Geez

I had no trouble when I was Graves getting up and moving.

I was like a time bomb with energy and no sleep. I felt like someone wound my clock so tight I couldn't control the energy.

I lost a ton of weight and felt great until the storming happened.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.