From Hyperthyroid to Hypothyroid while on Methimazole?

Hello all,

In November 2018, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid. My diagnosis came about during a routine annual exam which included a full panel of bloodwork. My symptoms were rapid heart rate only. My personal stats at that time were 5'7" 119 lbs. My doctor started me on 20 mg Methimazole.

My numbers were as follows:

TSH: not detectable
Free T3: 6.19
Free T4: 1.71

Still on 20 mg Methimazole - My personal stats at that time were 5'7" 129 lbs. (10 lb gain). My numbers in April 2018 were:

TSH: 0.01
Free T3: 2.96
Free T4: .56

Lowered to 10 mg Methimazole - My personal stats at that time were 5'7" 132.5 lbs. (another 3.5 lb gain). My May numbers were:

TSH: 0.542
Free T3: 2.6
Free T4: 0.66

At this stage, my doctor told me to discontinue the Methimazole and also told me that I am now hypothyroid.

My questions are; what are your thoughts on going from hyper to hypo, what have you done to combat the weight gain, where do I go from here???

I'm so dang confused, depressed, exhausted and the muscle spasms that started in early April are driving me absolutely insane!

I truly appreciate any and all advice from this community. Bless each and every one of you <3

GG
Were you ever tested for TSI to determine if the cause for your hyperthyroidism was Graves' Disease?  
Yes. I do not know what my baseline is but my most recent blood work showed my TSI at 1.70 with normal range being <0.55
So unless your Graves' has gone into remission, stopping the Methimazole would eventually only put you back to square one:  hyperthyroid.     Seems like a reduction to 5 mg  would be the better idea.  

I have read that nearly half of patients who take antithyroid medications for their Graves' disease go into remission.   But I also read the following, which is another argument to not stop the treatment altogether:  

“Long-term, low-dose methimazole treatment for 60-120 months is a safe and effective treatment for Graves hyperthyroidism and is accompanied by much higher remission rates than the usual 18-24 months of methimazole treatment,” he summarized.
Thank you for responding. Yes, I have read the same information, however, my doctor will be re-testing me in a couple of weeks. I suppose we'll re-evaluate at that point regarding my medication.

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community