Frustrated by Thyroid

I am a 37 year old woman diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1996. My thyroid has been up and down during this time.  I am currently on a dosage of Synthroid of 200 mcg. My tsh has been changing. For example last May my tsh went to 24 with normal t3 and t4. My doctor put my Synthroid up to the 200 mcg from 175mcg. He wanted to check it in 3 months. I went back at the 3 month mark and my tsh was at 12 and normal t3 and t4. He told me I had to wait another 2 months to check the tsh again and that he didn't think I was absorbing the Synthroid. My biggest concern is my weight change. I have gained about 15 pounds since July. And about 8 pounds since the middle of December. I have not changed my diet, go on a treadmill most days of the week, eat well. I lost 75 pounds after my children in the past so I know how to keep weight to a minimum. What I am doing worked in the past. Now it seems the weight is out of control. And the biggest frustration to me is my doctors attitude about it Oh you must be eating too much or calories in vs calories out. He is so unsympathetic to me and does not seem to care that my thyroid is not normal still. I am cold all the time, tired etc too.
What can I do about this situation. Is my thyroid and tsh of 12 causing this weight gain? How can I make my doctor help me instead of criticize me? Also how can I have a tsh of 12 with a normal t4 and t3?
Any advice  or comment would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
What are the actual levels of your FT3 and FT4, along with the lab's reference ranges?  Your TSH is still too high (normal range is 0.3-3.0, even though some labs are still using outdated ranges), but you need to be adjusting med based on symptoms and the FT's, not just TSH.

If that's (TSH) all your doctor is looking at, get a different one.  I don't understand why he's waiting another 2 months to retest.  If he doesn't think you are "absorbing" the synthroid, why isn't he trying something else instead of taking the "wait and see" approach -- that doesn't help anyone.  BUT I have to question what he means by not "absorbing" -- does he mean not converting T4 to T3?  That's where it would be helpful to know your FT #'s...........

I agree with dawnangela -- if your doctor criticizes or blames you, you should fire him or at least ask for a referral to an endo who treats thyroid, and if you can't find an endo, try for an ENT as a lot of them treat thyroid issues.  

I have been told that when your thyroid levels are right for you, you will be able to lose weight.  I gained 30 pounds in < 3 months before I was diagnosed and I'm just now beginning to be able to start getting it off.........
Helpful - 0
If a doctor criticizes you fire him and get a new one..Your tsh is still high and most doctors like it around 2, you seem to still have symptoms as well, cold ect..Synthroid may not be working for you and you may need to try some other med..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community