Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Frustration with meds, endo's etc...

This is ridiculous!! I just called to get my lab report, which at this point I only have the TSH # which frankly, I really don't care about the numbers- my body always knows! The nurse claims I was in the upper range of normal .6 or something like that, so it has come down from the 10.87 but I am "hyper-sensitive" in both directions. When the lab results show ever so slightly out of range in either direction, I feel way out of whack! I begged her to ask the Endo for a light synthroid increase because I still have all the HYPO symptoms x10, she said he would probably not change the dose but would talk to him...when are these docs going to learn to listen to patients and not always look at a piece of paper ????

Not to mention I have fluid around my heart which is directly related to the hypothyroidism
- and a friend of mine who sees same doc for hypothyroidism claims he keeps him on the lower end!

UGHH!
bumping this up for others to post
The nurse's comments baffle me a bit.  If your TSH is 0.6, that's at the lower end of the range (0.3-3.0).  Is your doctor testing FT3 and FT4 as well as TSH?  He should be basing his meds adjustments on symptoms first, followed by FT3 and FT4.  You're right, WE do know when our levels are off, without the numbers.  FT3 and FT4 are much more important than TSH because they are the actual thyroid hormones.  When meds are adjusted on the basis of TSH alone, there are often huge swings from hypo to hyper and back.

I'd call my doctor and ask for results of all thyroid tests with reference ranges (these are specific to each lab and have to come from your own lab report).  I'm sure there's something in your labs that would indicate why you still feel so hypo with a relatively low TSH.

It's very frustrating to deal with an insensitive doctor.  When you get your results, post them if you'd like, and members will help you interpret them.
yeah, I will post labs, I must have heard the number wrong, maybe it was 6. but I know she said upper range, not lower ? They always mail a hard copy with T4 and other numbers, so when I get it I will post. Below are results from 8 weeks ago and at that point they had me go from .75 to .1 Synthroid.

I am 20+ years diag Hypothyroid and 2 years ago went severe hyperthyroid, was stable for 6 months now back to way hypo, I just hate the feeling, I have everything from feeling like crap to major foot cramps to weight gain to swallowing difficulty and the pericardial effusion crap. I had a nodule biopsied about a month or so ago and all came back benign on that. I wonder if Estrogen or other hormones can wreak havoc on the thyroid as well ?

Results: 2/10
TSH- 10.87     Lab Ranges- .450 - 4.50
T4 Free- 1.27     Lab Ranges- 82 - 1.77
TPO ab >600     Lab Ranges- 0 - 34
T3 Free 2.4     Lab ranges- 2.0 - 4.4

Seems like the only time this Dr. will even talk to you is if he is about to jam a needle in your throat, otherwise all questions go to one of his bevy of nurses.
One of his bevy of nurses...the visuals are great!  Yeah, you have to pay $200 to talk to "the man" himself.

So, these are old labs, but obviously your TSH was way too high, indicating hypo.  Your FT4 was just below midrange, and midrange is the recommendation for FT4.  However, some of us feel better with FT4 somewhat higher than midrange.  So, the increase from 75 to 100 mcg was a good increase.

However, your FT3 is in the basement...lower quarter of range.  The recommendation here is upper half to upper third of range.  Also, your FT4 is higher in its range than your FT3 is in its.  All this points to slow conversion.  Your body cannot use T4.  It has to convert it to T3 for use by cells.  If this is happening too slowly, your FT4 can be "perfect", and you will still feel hypo.  I think you need to add some T3 to your meds.  

It will be interesting to see your latest labs.  Your FT3 and FT4 will most likely have come up a bit due to the increase from 75 to 100, but I'm betting your FT3 is still way too low.

BTW, if your TSH is 6.0 rather than 0.6, then it is ABOVE range still, not in the upper part of the range.  Don't let this rest...your nurse doesn't sound like she knows what she's talking about.  I don't think you want her "presenting" your case to the doctor for you.

The endocrine system is all interrelated.  Estrogen and other hormones definitely affect thyroid hormones and vice versa.  Also, since you have Hashi's, your thyroid hormone production often varies in the early stages, creating hypo and hyper swings.  How long ago were you diagnosed?

Post your new labs when you get them...
Wow, thanks for all the insight! I have been blind to my thyroid, have always taken meds for how ever long I was diagnosed 20 years ago and it would get out of whack every 5yrs. or so and would need an adjustment here & there but these last 2 years have been hell from super hyperthyroid to now, this.

After skimming through past 10 years or so of panels, I don't see where anyone ever tested the TPO so not sure on that one except for results 8 weeks ago. I sadly had a GP taking care of my thyroid all these years until I recently moved and was able to see an Endo that was within driving distance, so I had my first ultrasound and TPO test.

They are supposed to call me again tomorrow but once I get the hard copy I will post numbers here.
I believe the TPOab result you've shown indicates you have Hashi's which is why Goolara said that.  From what I read, that's likely why every few years things seem to go bonkers for you in terms of your thyroid.