A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members
16780818 tn?1451402132

Goiter discomfort

Hi All, this is my first time at this site so thanks in advance for any answers you can give me. After a lifetime of being blessed with excellent health (I am nearly 62) my doctor noticed about a year ago that I have an enlarged thyroid on my left side. It's not super large, but is easily visible when I swallow. I quickly saw an endocrinologist, who did a biopsy, and I was extremely relieved when he told me there was no cancer found. Now about a year later I have noticed a little discomfort in the area. I wouldn't really call it a pain, but maybe more of an ache, and the past 24 hours it has actually felt like a more noticeable muscle ache, but I don't think I've done anything to cause a muscle ache there. So my question is whether it is normal for an enlarged thyroid (or goiter) to cause some discomfort or to ache. The doc did tell me all my thyroid levels are still normal, so at least I don;t have that aspect of it to worry about! Thanks again for any answers!
1 Responses
It's not unusual for a goiter to cause a feeling of "tightness" or "fullness".  Could that describe what you are feeling?  If so, some people find that selenium relieves this.  Be sure to follow label directions since too much selenium is worse than too little.

Please post your thyroid test results with the reference ranges from your own lab report.  Thyroid test ranges are notoriously flawed, and "normal" isn't always normal.

Thyroid meds can help reduce a goiter.

Do you have thyroid symptoms?
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child