Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

HELP!! What should a "Good"specialist do on a first visit?

My first apt with the thyroid specialist is tomorrow. Have been hypo for some time and recently had a thyroiditis. Infact my symptoms of fullness in my neck were gone for about 2 weeks and now there back again : (

Any suggestions of how I can tell if this one is a good one. I pray to God that I drive three hours for the el blow off.
I am brining all of the labs(I ve not had any free T3 or fee T4 done) , ultrasound report and office notes. and I plan on taking my weight, thyroid and mood tracker with me.

What should a "good endo/thyroid specialist" do at your first visit? Any suggestions welcome. I just want some answers and suggestions, I am so tired of the "your a little high" "little low" no plan on a follow up, supplements,etc...

Make sure he/she asks YOU how YOU are FEELING!   That's a good indicator.  You want a specialist who will treat YOU - not your labs.  See if he/she will look you in the eye and talk to YOU - not just write down notes, look at your chart, or look at the computer.

Also talk about "what if's" and see if he/she is communicative about conditions and possible treatments.

Ask about options and see if he/she is open to all treatments - from synthetic and natural medications all the way to surgery or see if this is a "1 size fits all" doctor who either just wants to talk about surgery or medication without discussing any other options.

This person doesn't have to become your best friend but you are looking for someone who will be a PARTNER in your health care.   Mention that to them and see how he/she reacts.

I hope you found a great one.

Utahmomma