Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

HORMONES CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN

HELLO,
GREETING .... I NEED TO KNOW THE CAUSES OF WEIGHT GAIN DURING DEPRESSION, ANXITY, FEEL BAD DUE TO HORMONES DISTURBANCE .

IN THIS CASE WHEN I FEEL SO GOOD, I LOOS WEIGHT BUT WHEN I FEEL SO BAD OR ANXIT & DEPRISSION OR THINK A LOT, MY WEIGHT INCREASE UNDER SAME LIFE STYLE,

IF THE CAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM IS RELATED TO HORMONES, WHICH HORMONES MAY CAUSE IT? (EXCLUDE T3, T4, TSH)

THANKS
With all those hypo symptoms you definitely need to get started on thyroid meds.  You should target getting your FT3 level into the upper quarter of the range and see if that is enough to relieve symptoms.  Since your FT3 and FT4 are relatively in the same part of their ranges, indicating adequate conversion of T4 to T3, you might be successful at increasing your FT3 and FT4 levels with T4 meds.  

Beyond that you need to do what I suggested above.  

"Another thing to be aware of is that your description of varying symptoms suggests possibilities that should be further tested.  I would suggest that you get tested for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, by testing for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab.  Also, just to be sure, might be good to test for Grave's Disease, by running a TSI test.  The other thing to consider would be to get an ultrasound test on your thyroid glands to determine if you have any nodules."

Another thing that comes to mind is a 24 hour urine cortisol test to assess adrenal function.  Many hypo patients also find that they are deficient in areas of Vitamin A, D, B12, zinc, iron, selenium, RBC magnesium.  

Please let us know how all this proceeds and how you are feeling.
have you had your blood tested for a Thyroid panel?

If so post those results and we can help.

All sorts of hormones affect your mood and your weight gain.

Thyroid does have a huge affect on your metabolism rate and thus your weight.  Too high and you can loose weight, too low and you'll gain weight.

Thyroid is also associated with mood including depression and anxiety.  Some people can get off of or have no need to take anti-depressants or anti anxiety medicine simply by getting their Thyroid levels balanced correctly.

However there are other hormones in your body as well.  They all have to be in proper balance and that can be tricky.  Some people report that when they first start and control their Thyroid, the others are then more stabilized and can be adjusted better with medicine if need be.

There is a thyroid condition called Hashimoto's.  It is an auto-immune condition where your body "sees" your Thyroid as a foreign invadoer and goes about attacking and killing the Thyroid.  Sometimes this progression results in the Thyroid production to be normal and sometimes it can swing between high and low.  You would likely feel they symptoms as it swings if you have this condition.  Hashi's is the most common cause for low thyroid.

Other conditions such as nodules can be on the Thyroid.  These can inhibit and then "leak" Thyroid hormone.  This too would result or could result in swinging from normal to low to high or anywhere in between.

The bottom line is, you need to get some blood tests and go from there.
THANK YOU

T3, T4, TSH RESULT ARE NORMAL LEVEL

****

I HAD EMPTY SELLA (MRI RESULT)

ALSO I HAVE CHRONIC HEADACHE AND OTHER SYMPTOMS (ALL UNDIAGNSED)

PLEASE READ THIS TOPIC:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/abnormal-heat-inside-my-body-during-sleep-/show/1598125

THANK YOU
NORMAL means absolutel NOTHING.

That only means SOMEWHERE within the normal range.  And that alone means absolutely nothing!  you can still be Hypo and be within "normal" range.  The "normal" range is FAR too broad.

Please list your actual test results and the reference ranges the labs used!

Most people find that they need to be at the middle of the range for FREE T4 and in the upper 1/3 of the range for FREE T3 in order to feel well.  If you are at the bottom of the ranges you can and likely will be Hypo.  Do NOT let your Dr's just brush you off telling you that the tests are "normal".  If you live in the USA by law they have to provide you with a written copy of your test results if you ask them.  Do not be timid.  If you don't have the test results.  Ask for them!
my results:

T4:  97.57 n mol\l  .............. (66 - 181 n mol\l)
T3:  1.93 n mol\l    .............. (1.3 - 3.1 n mol\l)
TSH:  1.72 mIU\ml  ............. ( 0.27 - 4.2)

I DID MEET ENDOCRINOLOGIST & TELL ME EVERY THING ARE JUST FINE.

YOUR OPINION ?
can you mention any test or investigation that may help me to have definitive diagnosis?
I reed on other web site that one of possible hypothyroid symptoms is (a cold bum, butt, derriere, fanny, gluteus maximus, haunches, hindquarters, posterior, rear, and/or cheeks) can you explain it for me.

thank you
In diagnosing a possible thyroid problem the most important indicator is symptoms.  You have lots of the 26 typical hypothyroid symptoms listed in this link.

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

In addition, as flyingfool mentioned, just because your thyroid test results are within the reference ranges does not mean that they are adequate for YOU.  The ranges are far too broad for that to be the case.  Many of our members report that hypo symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range. Both your FT3 and FT4 levels are in the lower half of their range, which is often associated with being hypo.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  I think you will get some good info from reading the letter in this link.  The letter was written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the Primary Doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Another thing to be aware of is that your description of varying symptoms suggests possibilities that should be further tested.  I would suggest that you get tested for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, by testing for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab.  Also, just to be sure, might be good to test for Grave's Disease, by running a TSI test.  The last thing to consider would be to get an ultrasound test on your thyroid glands to determine if you have any nodules.
Thank you for helping

I'm going to list the symptoms that only suffer from it or I did .
please note that these all symptoms not present at the same time. some of it present for a period of time & then disappear. After that, other symptoms appear & present .... & so on. like a cycle.

the main continuese symptom i have is headache, obesity, psychological & behavioural changing, Inability to eat in the mornings ... etc.

this is the list of my symptoms & my comment:

•Feeling tired (fatigue) and sluggishness
•Weight gain (some time loss but mainly gain now my weight aroun 180 kg)
•Slow movement and speech
•Increased sensitivity to cold
. abdominal pain, some times constipation
•Puffy face (some day become my face so big and ugly, after few days return to how its was)
•Joint and muscle pain (& spasm)
•Decreased hearing
•Decreased ability to exercise.
■Less stamina than others
■Less energy than others
■Long recovery period after any activity
■Arms feeling like dead weights after activity
■Suicidal Thoughts
■Often feeling cold
. when I sleep or after wake up, I feel more sensitive to the cold in the room but at the same time i feel heat & worm inside my body
■Heart disease (I don't have any disease but in past I have symptoms of heart problems but all my tests was normal)
■Palpitations
■Requires naps in the afternoon
■Air Hunger (feeling like you can’t get enough air)
■Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
■Forgetfulness
■Foggy thinking
■Inability to lose weight
■Always gaining weight
■Inability to function in a relationship with anyone
■Moody periods
■Nausea
■Acne on face and in hair
■Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
■Inability to work full-time
■Inability to stand on feet for long periods
■Complete lack of motivation
■Slowing to a snail’s pace when walking up slight grade
■Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others
■Handwriting nearly illegible (difficulties but now better)
. increase hand sweating, my arm with the hand increase sweating during handwriting
■Internal itching of ears
■Major anxiety/worry
■Ringing in ears
■Inability to eat in the mornings (thats amazing because when this happen I DO NOT know why )
■Joint pain
■Carpal tunnel symptoms (I'M not diagnosed but when I read about it I feel that I have the symptoms)
■changable Appetite & desire
. sometimes, I feel very thirsty or hungry. some days I feel that I have poly uriea.
. blood pressure changing
■Dizziness from fluid on the inner ear
. when I want to speek, i have difficulty at the begining.
.painful soles of feet
■irritable bowel syndrome ( symptoms much likes)
■Extreme hunger, especially at nighttime

********************

this is a question I post it on 2010 , I wrote my story, please read it:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/9-years-continues-headache--24hrs7days9years/show/1203625?personal_page_id=1309380

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Migraines--Headaches/My-head-is-boiling/show/1304254?personal_page_id=1309380#post_5967032

what should I do now?
hello,
thank you

about 24 hour urine cortisol test , I did it few year ago.
doctor told me the result was normal .
About goitre, I do not have its feature.