Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Headaches and parathyroid disorders?

First- a little background. I was born without thyroid function. As a result, doctors placed me on Synthroid, which I took every day for 23 years. I developed dual sided nodules and a goiter and finally had to have a total thyroidectomy. Since then, I've switched from Synthroid to Armour because I've felt so crappy!!  I'm 30 now, and over time, I've felt completely lethargic, achy, anxious, etc.
The worst part of it all is that I have developed migrane-like headaches over the past nine months that have gotten progressively worse. I say migraine like because they carry similar symptoms, but not completely. For one, the headache never completely goes away. Some days are better than others, but it's always there in some shape or form. I've been under the care of two doctors- my GP and a neurologist, both of whom just throw medicine at the problem and make me feel like a zombie...an anxious zombie with a bad headache.
I've taken control of the situation by doing some research on my own, and I've come across material on hyper parathyroid disorder. I'm wondering if that's a possibility in my diagnosis. I'm just so tired of feeling this way. Help!
Before considering the possibility of a parathyroid disorder, I think we should explore the possibility of you still being under treated for hypothyroidism, a known condition you have had for many years.  I say this because of our expensive experience showing that so many hypo patients are not adequately tested and treated.  In addition you mention a number of symptoms that are frequently related to being hypothyroid.  Even chronic headaches can be a symptom of being hypothyroid.   So please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.