Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Headaches and parathyroid disorders?

First- a little background. I was born without thyroid function. As a result, doctors placed me on Synthroid, which I took every day for 23 years. I developed dual sided nodules and a goiter and finally had to have a total thyroidectomy. Since then, I've switched from Synthroid to Armour because I've felt so crappy!!  I'm 30 now, and over time, I've felt completely lethargic, achy, anxious, etc.
The worst part of it all is that I have developed migrane-like headaches over the past nine months that have gotten progressively worse. I say migraine like because they carry similar symptoms, but not completely. For one, the headache never completely goes away. Some days are better than others, but it's always there in some shape or form. I've been under the care of two doctors- my GP and a neurologist, both of whom just throw medicine at the problem and make me feel like a zombie...an anxious zombie with a bad headache.
I've taken control of the situation by doing some research on my own, and I've come across material on hyper parathyroid disorder. I'm wondering if that's a possibility in my diagnosis. I'm just so tired of feeling this way. Help!
1 Responses
Before considering the possibility of a parathyroid disorder, I think we should explore the possibility of you still being under treated for hypothyroidism, a known condition you have had for many years.  I say this because of our expensive experience showing that so many hypo patients are not adequately tested and treated.  In addition you mention a number of symptoms that are frequently related to being hypothyroid.  Even chronic headaches can be a symptom of being hypothyroid.   So please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.

Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.