Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Headaches and tight/lump in throat

For a couple weeks now I've been feeling this discomfort at the top of my throat - it feels like that feeling where you're about to crying so your throat gets all tight, but it's constant. There's not much pain to it, but it still worries me.

I'm not sure if it's related to the throat, but around the same time (a few days before I felt the throat thing) I'd been having nightly headaches (they would consistently appear around 5pm-ish and be there until I woke up the next morning, sometimes even for a few hours after that). These last couple of days, I have not been having these headaches at the same time, but for a few hours throughout the day.

I've been searching around the internet but I can't find anything other than thyroid cancer, which also worries me since I have some thyroid issues (hypo-thyroidism). Any ideas about what is causing these things would be appreciated!!
1 Responses
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Since you have hypothyroidism, do you know if you have Hashimoto's?  

Have you ever had a thyroid ultrasound to determine whether you have nodules on your thyroid or not?  Many of us with hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's have nodules on our thyroid.  Typically, they are nothing to worry about, but sometimes, the nodules can swell up.  Sometimes the thyroid, itself can swell up/become inflamed... this is called a goiter.  Both, nodules and goiter can also cause the feeling you refer to.  I get it periodically, too.  

While it's possible for nodules to be cancerous, it's important to know that less than 5% of all nodules are cancer, so it's pretty rare.

The problem it is that the thyroid is located near the bottom of the throat, so I'm wondering if your problem could be tonsils or something else.

Do you take replacement thyroid hormones for your hypothyroidism?  If so, what medication(s)/dosage(s) do you take and how long have you been on it/them? If you have a copy of your latest thyroid hormone test results, it would be good if you could post them so we could see your actual status.  Be sure to include reference ranges with any results you post, since ranges vary from lab to lab and have to come from your own report.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child