Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Help with Diagnosis

Hi i am 25yo Female,
Recently went to the doctor with chest pain. Severe stabbing pain (coming and going every minute or so) in the middle, slightly left of my ribcage. I had an ecg and this was normal, my blood pressure, blood oxygen level and heat rate are also normal. Laying down helped alleviate the pain. After this first onset i have had duller chest pain in the same area, which comes and goes (some days i have it others not so much). This pain is not affected by pushing the area or any movements. It feels like bad heartburn but does not occur only after eating. My chest x-ray showed some thickening of the periobronchial walls in the lower left quadrant. I was put on antibiotics for possible bronchitis but my doctor said it looked mild so was probably not what was causing my chest pain. I was also given pantoprazole tablets in case it was a stomach acid problem. 4 weeks on my chest pain is still occurring, mild but uncomfortable. I had no cold or virus before the onset.
While diagnosing my chest the doctor did blood tests. One of which came back with something unexpected. I have slightly elevated T4 (ever so slightly outside normal levels but usually nothing to be concerned about.) However my TSH is practically non existent (0.14). Meaning my thyroid is producing hormones even though my pituitary is not telling it to (that is my understanding anyway). Meaning i could have hyperthyroidism (mother and sister are hypothyroid). Over past 4 weeks i have had several repeated test and nothing has changed. The doctor did other thyroid blood tests (can't remember what they were for) but all came back within normal range).
I have always had headaches more days with than without since i was a teenager. For this reason i had an MRI to check my pituitary gland. This looked normal. However they found i had sinus mucosal disease which could be causing my headaches. I now have steroid nasal spray and have been using this for 3 weeks with no improvement to headaches (doctor said it may take up to 5wks).
I was then referred to an endocrinologist who felt my thought and said there is slight swelling on my right hand side of my thyroid so i am getting an ultrasound later this month (i have thyroid cancer on both sides of my family but the doctor said he doesn't expect it to be that).
In addition to this i have had problem joints my entire life. They are all much looser than normal. I have been tested for rheumatoid factor once previously but it came back as unlikely (my younger sister also has rheumatoid arthritis). My ankles and knees feel too loose to run on. My hip pops in and out occasionally if i am standing in one place for too long. My shoulders are the worst though. My right shoulder is in pain every day. Massage helps, however i have very little feeling in it. It is unstable and i can't sleep on that side or i will wake up in a great deal of pain in the morning. My physio says i have muscle degeneration near my scapula and my traps work overtime to compensate. I have most pain in the pressure point on the inside middle edge of my right scapula and around the far right edge of it (under my arm). This week my other shoulder (left) has become extra week also and i can no longer sleep on this side either. It is a more sharp pain on the left side (possible because there is less scar tissue?). I have never had an injury in any of my joints. They are definitely getting worse with age (but i am only 25!).
I have also been feeling nauseous (mild, 1-2 days a week max). This has occurred over the past 10 weeks and is worse in the morning (i am not pregnant). I have never experienced nausea before.
My mood has been very low lately. I feel like i could have developed depression and/or anxiety.
I have also been experiencing eye twitches where my eyes are forced closed then released over and over (could be a sign of anxiety? because i am stressed over not knowing what is wrong with me. Or it could be another symptom).
So my questions is:
Is there something that could be causing all of this?
and
Is there anyone who has experienced something similar and found an answer?

Thanks for your help.

My current medical bills are killing me and i don't know whats wrong yet!
I am also ALWAYS tired!
I sleep 9hrs a night. Roughly 10hrs on weekends, plus 1-2hr nap in the afternoon if i can. I have been like this my whole life, however it has gotten worse in the past months.
COMMUNITY LEADER
What was the exact level of your T4 when it was tested?  And was it a Free T4 or Total T4?  They aren't the same test.  Also, what was the reference range?  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.   Was there also a T3 test done?  Did you have any thyroid antibody tests done?  

If you didn't have thyroid antibody tests done, you should get them.  You could have either Graves Disease, which is an autoimmune disease associates with hyperthyroidism or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  Hashimoto's is most often associated with hypothyroidism, but is often characterized by periods of hyperthyroidism in the early stages.  

To diagnose Hashimoto's, you need Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb).  You need them both, because both are markers for Hashimoto's and some of us have one or the other, while some have both.  Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) is the definitive test to diagnose Graves Disease.

Due to the fatigue, get a vitamin B-12 test, as well.  Vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause the most astounding fatigue you've ever known.  Also get Vitamin D tested.  Low vitamin D can cause a lot of the aches/pains.

Because of your joint and other pain, you might want to have an ANA (Anti-Nuclear Antibody) test.  This would indicate whether there might be other autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, MS, etc present.  If an RA factor only came back as "unlikely", you might want to have it repeated; it should be either negative or positive. I have to question the person who interpreted it.  

Autoimmune diseases tend to run in families, but not each family member gets the same disease.  For instance, in my family, I have Hashimoto's and Pernicious Anemia, my son has Type I diabetes and my daughter has Lupus.

I'd recommend all the thyroid testing:  TSH, Free T3, Free T4 (be sure to specify FREE), TPOab, TgAb, TSI and Vitamins B-12 and D, first.  It's very possible that the explanation to the way you feel lies in there, even if some of the results fall within the so-called normal limits - with thyroid, "normal" isn't necessarily "good".  

Once you get all those tests, be sure to get copies and you can post the results.  We can help you interpret them, so you can go from there.
Ehlers Danlos syndrome causes joint hypermobility and loose/unstable joints. If you have this condition you are at risk of Arnold Chiari Malformation due to instabilities of the craniocervical junction. If your traditional MRI picked up nothing it doesn't rule out this condition as you can have borderline or Chiari 0.  The symptoms and prognosis is nothing to do with the size of herniation but cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow. A CINE MRI is a special MRI study used to observe cerebrospinal fluid flow. Just something to consider.

List Of Chiari Symptoms:
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological-Disorders/List-Of-Chiari-Symptoms/show/1024?cid=186

Hi, I can't help toward a diagnosis, but as to the symptoms. CoQ10 200mg will help with the chest pain. And Magnesium at night will help your body to process the extra stress of your condition. you can start at 150mg and go up to about 600mg.