Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Hot,hot,hot!

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  My doctor prescribed levothyroxine .025 mg and my psychiatrist added 5mcg of cytomel.  The problem is that instead of being cold all the time, I am burning up, sometimes with sweating.
I have internal heat that my husband claims he cannot feel on my skin most of the time.  This heat is awful.  Can anyone shed light on this?  My doctor claims I am now in the normal thyroid range and can't understand the heat issue.  I still feel somewhat "foggy" and "forgetful" but I also take EffexorXR (300mg) for depression and have every symptom listed under fibromyalgia.  Thank you for any information or comments.
COMMUNITY LEADER
How long have you been on the thyroid medication?  The cytomel could give you the hot feeling, if the dosage is too high, but 5 mcg is a pretty small dose, as is 25 mcg levo.   It does take time for the medication to build in your system and it's not unusual for symptoms to worsen or for new ones to show up, as your body adjusts to the medication.

Please post the actual results of your thyroid tests and be sure to include reference ranges, which vary lab to lab.  Often, being "in range" isn't right for the patient, but we can't tell without seeing the labs.

Firbromyalgia is a set of non-specific symptoms for which there is no explanation; typically, the symptoms are alleviated once the patient is on adequate thyroid hormones.  Depression is also a symptom of hypothyroidism.
One thing that should be considered is Effexor can cause serotonin syndrome.
Thank you for your suggestions! I am getting a blood test today and when I get the results, I will post my numbers.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Will look forward to seeing your results and don't forget the reference ranges.  

Yes, the Effexor could have something to do with your sweating, as well.