Thyroid Disorders Community

How bad are Calcifications?

I had an US yesterday and I'm getting a biopsy tomorrow.  The speed in the medical world is concerning me :).

I thought I only had 1 nodule but it turns out I have quite a few more, all solid.  One has calcifications in it.  I hear these tend to contain more of the "C" word.  Is it a huge % more?  I'm just slightly freaking plus I have all the other symptoms of horseness, shortness of breath, pain, object in throat which all point in the "C" direction.
You can say it here:  cancer (small "c" - don't give it more power than it deserves).

Calcification do make nodules more suspicious - so does the fact that the nodules are solid.  After the biopsy they may also want an uptake scan to check for function of the nodules.

The symptoms of hoarseness, shortness of breath, pain, and object in throat are common for benign nodules too - it's the size of them that causes that.

All of us in my family had *ZERO* symptoms of cancer - no sore throats, no hoarseness, no shortness of breath (other than asthma), no pain, no feeling of object in throat, no palpable nodules - nothing.  Quite often it is the benign ones that cause more problems.

Whatever it is - benign or cancerous - we'll help you through it!

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03, second surgery '04
recurrence and RAI '06 and probably '08
three sisters with papillary carcinoma (one with three recurrences/RAI)
daughter with precancer
sister with precancer