Thyroid Disorders Community

How long can you have thyroiditis?

I'm sorry for always asking questions and never being able to give advice on this forum, but everyone on here is great. How long can someone have thyroiditis? Does 20 months sound excessive?

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I constantly feel like I'm being strangled, my thyroid area feels "infected" and I can feel it pulsing when it gets really inflamed, am tired, and have other hypo symptoms. I also feel like I can feel a bump of some sort around my thyroid. I haven't been able to get many answers because my numbers come back basically in the range (on the hypo end for the most part), and my antibody tests are negative.

The most recent diagnosis is that it's probably just thyroiditis that will work itself out over time. Has anyone had this kind of experience where it just worked itself out after 20 months? Any other ideas? I'm about ready to start taking my dog's thyroid pills! :) What else can I beg for to get an answer?
Do you have recent FT3, FT4 and TSH results and their reference ranges?  That would help us to comment further.

Just before I was diagnosed with Hashi's, my endo told me that temporary thyroiditis (silent thyroiditis or DeQuervain's thyroiditis) lasted a maximum of two years.  So, you are getting close.  However, even if your antibodies are negative, you might have a "permanent" hypothyroidism of indeterminate cause.

I'm assuming you are not on thyroid meds...
P. S. The dog needs them...leave them alone!  LOL  Is it a coincidence?  I had a hypothyroid dog, too!
Well, I guess that confirms that hypothyroidism runs in families.  LOL
There's always a reason for a symptom to rear and just because you may be in range with "tests" ( curious to see what tests you had) other endocrine issues could be onsetting this for you too.

Any issues with estrogen at all maybe? If that level is high - then.... the thyroid could be having issues if you had a stressful event that caused something too.
Don't worry, goolarra, I won't take my dog's meds...it's tempting though. :)

I don't know about my estrogen levels. Work was VERY stressful right when I noticed my symptoms, but it's been fine for the past year, and my symptoms haven't gotten any better.

I went to an endocrinologist last year who I will never see again. I rattled off my symptoms (before I'd even done research online about thyroid issues), and the doctor was very sarcastic and said, "Well, somebody has been reading too much on the internet!" and blew me off. The doc also told me that the thyroid was located under the collar bone, and not in my neck. Hmmm...

I had blood work about a month ago which was supposedly fine. I've requested the actual copies, but don't have it yet. Here is my blood work from a year ago:

TSH: 2.23 uIU/ml Range: .34-5.60
Free T3: 2.7 PG/ML Range: 2.0-4.4
Free T4: 0.77 ng/dL Range: .58-1.64
Thyroid Antithyroglubulin Antibody: <20 IU/ML Range: 0-40
Thyrotropin Receptor Ab, Serum: <.50 IU/ML Range: 0.00-1.75

Based on this, it doesn't look like I have Hashimoto's, but everything I read about it sure sounds like it.

About 18 months ago, I had an ultrasound that was fine. I do feel a small lump in my thyroid area, not sure if it's a nodule, a lymph node, or just part of me being lumpy. The "lump" area is tender to the touch. Nobody seems interested because the ultrasound 18 months ago was fine. I've also had a MRI over a year ago that was fine.

My throat always feels like I'm being strangled and inflamed. I'd equate the pain level in my throat to that of a typical headache, and I'd say it escalates at times up into the level of a migraine when it really flairs up. Nothing helps it go away. My voice gets tired and feels hoarse at times. When I lie down, it feels like something is pressing on my trachea (I did have a swallow study which came back fine). I'm always freezing cold (they call me Linus at work because I always carry around a blanket), and I am definitely more forgetful than I used to be.

Luckily I do get to see a new endocrinologist in a couple of months. I am going to be more demanding than I've been in the past. I've been complacent and tried the various things doctors have wanted me to try (NSAIDs, muscle relaxers, antacids, etc.) and nothing has worked. What should I demand? If you think I'm totally off base and it doesn't sound thyroid-related at all, feel free to set me straight. :) Any ideas for things I can try to feel better in the meantime (but at the same time, I don't want to take some magic vitamin that will make my labs look great when I go to the endo and be dismissed as a crazy again!).

I know this is a long post. Thank you so much for your time!!!!

it HAS NO CURE ALL THIS NONE SENSE WITH TEST AND DOCTORS WONT HELP I BEEN DYING FRO CRAZY SIGNS OF THYRIOD WHERE MY HEART BEATS FAST AND SLOW AND HAD 2 HEART ATTACKS DONT BOTHER WASTE YOUR TIME IT HAS NO CURE ITS THE MOST COMPLICATED DEASISE IN THE WORLD AND THE MOST DANGOURAS EVER ITS WORSE THAN CANCER THEY SYMPTHOMS I GET ARE WORSE THAN SOMONE WHO HAD HIV OR CANCER U FEEL LIKE UR DYING AND SCARED TO SLEEP  I BEEN TO 5 DOCTORS THEY TELL U WAT U WANA HEAR IT HAD NO CURE ITS GONA KEEP ACTING UP INSIDE YOUR BODY BR=Y GOING UP AND DOWN AND CONTROL YOUR BLOOD STREAM AND BLOOD HEART LEVELS
SAVE YOUR TIME ALL MY BLOOD TEST SHOW NORMAL BUT IM STILL OING THROUGH HELL IT CAUSES YOUR HEART TO STOP AND DEPRESSION AND THOUSAND PIANFUL SYMPTHOMS NO CURE FOR IT AT ALL GOOD LUCK I DONT WANA LIE TO YOU LIKE MOST OF THESE PEOPLE ON HERE AND TELL U STORIES I FELT EVERYTHING IM TELLING U ABOUT GOOD LUCK
I had it for 15 years before I was finally believed! Grrrrrr

You don't have to have anti-bodies to have a compressing goitre. Hypo thyroid and hyper thyroid patients can have a goitre, too. Many people with Iodine deficiency (rare in developed countries) can have goitres too. (Oh by the way, I am an Aussie we spell goiter, goitre. I hate the fact spell checker highlights it, but I am not about to change it!)

Having said that, your levels are 12 months ago. I know you say you had some fresh done last month, but you really need to make sure they are the right ones. (see below)

That lump you are feeling could well be a nodule. Many people have them with no ill-effects, but the fact you have an enlarged thyroid(by your symptoms) indicates something is going on in there!

18 months ago ultrasound is a LOOOONG time ago in medical terms.

I would be asking for another one and really pushing to get some anti-bodies done and full TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 tests done.

Probably the only thing that will work for your feeling better is to get them as soon as possible, and run as fast as you can from those uneducated doctors! Seriously though, try to not sleep flat on your back, wear warmer clothes and put post it notes everywhere! ( I know, I wasn't being overly serious was I!?)

Cheers!

I'll try to wear warmer clothes. I do look pretty silly in sweatshirts in the summer. :)

I was able to get my most recent lab work by phone, but they did not give me the ranges, so I'm not sure how much help it will be. They just told me if it was normal or not.

TSH: 1.49 (normal)
Total T3: 233 (high) (didn't get a free T3)
Free T4: 1.16 (normal)
Antibodies: Negative

It looks like my numbers are more on the hyper end of normal than they were last year (definitely don't feel it though). Ideas?

Thanks!