Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

How to take Naturethroid

Well, I received my Naturethroid 1 grain yesterday and am ready to go off of my Synthroid 125 mcg and try it.  This morning I broke the pill in half as I am leary of how it will affect me, and tried to let it dissolve under my tongue.  I did this because I heard it could cause nausea, which I have a tendency towards.  Well, I do not think it is supposed to dissolve.  The pill itself kind of dissolved, but was still a bunch of dissolved pill sitting in my mouth, it really does not absorb sublingually?   Is this how to take it to avoid nausea?  

I am also worrried about needing more.  I am supposed to leave on vacation in about 1 1/2 weeks and wonder if I should get more prescribed before I leave as I am not sure how I am going to feel and cannot get it while I am gone.  I know one grain is a low dose to switch to from 125 mcg Synthroid but I am always sensitive to meds, so we were trying to start slow.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated from anyone on this medication.

Hope this works!

Hi my 8 year old daughter was born without her thyroid and was on Synthroid all her life. She was on 100mcg until we switched to Armour 6 months ago. She was not converting enough of the t4 to t3 on Synthroid and began having heart palps.We switched from Armour (120mg) to Naturethroid one month ago. She was doing well until Armour reformulated the binders and she began having severe joint pain and just began feeling ill on it.(flu like). We used Naturethroid's conversion chart to switch, however it is off by atleast 1 grain (65 mg) not 5mg as the chart states when converting from Armour to Naturthroid. I'm sure the Synthroid conversion is also too low. We increased by 1/2 grain each week until she felt better.She was on 120 mg of Armour and we started on 130mg of Naturethroid. We are close to our optimal dose (symptomatically) now at 195mg, and I still think we are a little low. I will wait until blood work in 3 weeks to see for sure. Until then, she will stay on 3 grains taken at four hour intervals, 3 times per day. (65 mg 7:00am, 65mg at 11:00am, &65mg at 3:00pm). This has been working pretty good so far, and she is slowly starting to feel better. She swallows her pills with a 8oz. glass of water 30 min before food.(1 hour would be better). No nausea here! All vitamin suppliments are taken at night. I hope this helps with your transition into the t3 world. It takes time and patience. Don't wait too long for your gradual increases, as I don't want you to slip into the hypo. joint aches that my daughter is having. Not fun!  I'm glad that you skipped Armour and went straight to Naturthroid. People are doing well on it when they figure out their correct dose. It is definately not as strong as the Armour. Good luck and let me know how it ends up for you. I'll let you know our blood results in 3 weeks (Mon. 9/21).  If we need an increase,I will start with an extra 1/2 grain in the morning as that is when she seems to be needing more. T3 burns off quickly (3 to 4 hours) and it is 16 hours between her last afternoon dose at 3:00pm until her next morning dose at 7:00am. During that time she is dependent on the longer lasting t4 which must convert, which she does not do efficiently. I'll keep you posted!
PS: get more for your vacation! Many pharmacies have it on back order and it is hard to find lately due to many people switching to it from Armour. You may need an increase or two while on vacation. Always better to be prepared!                                                    
Wow, thanks for all of that information!  It sounds like a good medication, at least compared to Armour and the changes.  I guess I will need to call the doctor for half a grain and see if she will order that for me to take perhaps starting next week or at least the following week while we are away.  Naturethroid says 1.5 grains = 125 mcg synthroid but they seem to be a little off on their caclulations, so maybe I will need another increase from there?  Guess only time will tell.

Yes, keep me updated on how she is doing.  I hope it goes well and she does great!  It is hard enough on adults taking meds, harder with kids...I have two of my own with health issues and meds daily too, no fun for them.

Thanks again!
That would mean that 125mcg Synthroid = 97.5 mg Naturthroid. Remember, my daughter was on 100mcg Synthroid and we are now on 195 mg of Naturthroid for compairison sake. She weighs 110 lbs. now, but was about 100 lbs. when on Synthroid. (Thankfully she is tall for her age). She'll be turning 9 in 3 weeks. Do you have any thyroid function?
Hum...so I am going to call this week for an extra half grain for now....wow that is about double what they recommend on their conversion chart.  I became hypothyroid after my daughter was born and have slowly been climbing up on synthroid over the past 6 years..it just never really made me feel normal despite my labs saying I was.  I finally got this new doctor who believes in Naturethroid and armour and gave me the prescription and told me to watch my temperature and symptoms and call the office if I have issues before my next appiontment in five weeks  I was nervous about starting off too high as I do get jittery and palpitations sometimes with the synthroid, but I also recently learned I have Hashimotos which apparently makes you go up and down like a rollercoaster....fun!  The doctor told me a lot of patients like me need two different doses for when they are up and then go down, but I really think I am going to need at least another half grain.  

Thanks again!
I just remembered that when we switched from Synthroid to Armour that we started with 60mg ( 2, 1/2 grain pills per day taken in the morning before breakfast. Three weeks later she "hit the wall"  and we increased her by another 1/2 grain (90 mg). 1 month later she hit another wall and we raised her to her max dose on Armour 120 mg (3 grains) but was still taking it all in the morning. Too large of a dose all at once (spikes). Way to wired so I started splitting the dose by 2 grains in morning and 1 grain at noon. Tried this with the Naturethroid, but it was so obvious that we needed that later afternoon dose, so we dose three times per day. Synthroid has a very long 1/2 life compaired to the shorter life of a t3 med. T4 stays in your system much longer. So when you first switch over, the synthetic t4 is in your system for 6 to 8 weeks, but there will be less  and less  with each passing week (reduces by 1/2 each week) So the conversion must happen slowly. Pay close attention to your symptoms, and be preparred to bump it up as needed as you keep in mind where you might ultimately be. Labs will be scewd until 8 weeks when the Synthroid is out of your system and you are completely dependent on the new t3/t4 desicated hormone. Stella 5439 has helped me so much with all of this. You should also contact her as she is on Naturethroid and doing fantastic! She's been such a blessing to us. It really is a difficult road when it is your child who is suffering. We are working on it!!! Nothing is impossible with God. He is faithful and continues to intercede for us when I don't know where to turn next in reguards to the health of my daughter. He continues to open my eyes and sends us in the right direction. Please keep us in your prayers, and I'll do the same for you. God Bless!
I think Stella said that she ended up on 2 full grains more then what the chart said that she would need. We are already 1 grain higher, and I wouldn't be surprised if the blood work shows that she needs a little more. (I'm expecting it!!!) However, I'm trying to play it safe and 3 grains is doing much better then the initial 2 grains and then the 2 1/2. She started school today, so I'll just have to see how she does with that added stress. I hope we can hold off until labs, so I can get a good picture of how she is doing on this dose. We increased 1 week ago.