MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal


Hello, i have read most posts and hope someone can shed some light on my issues. For about 2 months I've been having all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism or graves such as red
bloodshot eyes/off white  which ive never had before... blurry vision at times, weight loss (173 down to 163) even tho i eat more than normal..I have rapid heart beat at times ,shaky hands at times, weak legs at times and brain fog. All these symptoms come and go. I had my tests run twice now everything is "normal"i had mri for brain that was all clear. My tsh is .764,  T3 free 3.4 pg/ml and T4 free 1.27 ng dl  Ive been on a maintenance dose of methadone and have reduced my dosage because ive become very sensitive to anything even ibuprofen for some reason..been on for 8 years and have read it can effect the thyroid. I see the endocrinologist on 8/4.Is there any specific tests i should ask for?  Any help is appreciated. Thanks
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
649848 tn?1534633700
Just because your thyroid hormone levels are within the normal ranges, doesn't mean you don't have hyperthyroidism.   We all need different levels and what might be good for one person may be too high/too low for another person.  

You need to have thyroid antibodies tested to confirm whether you have Graves, but you also need to have antibodies to test for Hashimoto's.   Although Graves Disease is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism, early stages of Hashimoto's can also present periods of hyper, alternating with normal or even hypo before settling into permanent hypo.  The antibody confirm/rule out Graves Disease is Thyroid Stimulating Immunonglobulins (TSI).  The tests you need to confirm/rule out Hashimoto's are Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab).  Both of these can also be present with Graves Disease, but if you don't have TSI antibodies, you don't have Graves.

A thyroid ultrasound would also be good as it will determine whether or not you have nodules on your thyroid.  Typically, nodules are harmless and nothing to worry about, but sometimes, they can produce hormones independently of the thyroid.

Another condition to consider is diabetes.  Some people have weight loss and other symptoms with onset.  Ask to get a fasting glucose level tested, as well as an A1c test.
Helpful - 2
Well i saw the endocrinologist yesterday. He said he would not do the tsi tpo or tgab because my tsh t3&4 were all within range. He said those tests would just confuse things because i could have antibodies but not the disease. He ordered adrenal testing and cortisol. What do i do now? Oh and my blood glucose is good. Thanks in advance.
"He said those tests would just confuse things because i could have antibodies but not the disease."  I'm not sure where he's coming from with that comment... If you have the antibodies, you have the disease!!    

It's good that he was willing to order the adrenal testing (depending on what he actually ordered).  Cortisol is an adrenal hormone, so I hope that's not all you're getting.  

Personally, I'd look for a different doctor because it doesn't sound like this one will do much to help you feel better.   You don't need an endo - any type of doctor who's familiar with thyroid issues can handle the issue.  My pcp manages my thyroid and does a much better job than any of the endos I've had.

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
Avatar universal
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.