Thyroid Disorders Community

Hypothyroid and Dizziness?

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I delivered my third child in August of 2007 and my body was not returning to "normal".  I was not able to loose weight, I was EXTREMELY tired and fatigued, extreme moods swings, body aches, and so on...I had ALL the text book symptoms.  I went to see my doctor this last February and had some blood work done.  I got a call that my TSH level was 45.  They put my on Levothyroxine immediately and have increased my dose from 25 mcg to 75 mcg.  My recent blood work showed that my TSH levels have come down to 4.6, but my T4 level is at 1.1.  My doctor said that she will be increasing my dose again to 100 mcg.  I mentioned to my Dr. that although I was feeling better, I was still struggling with my symptoms.  She stated that it will take time as my medication tries to get things back in order.  When I shared that I have times when I feel an extreme pressure on my forehead and feel dizzy and that I might pass out, she said that if I were to read the text book symptoms of hypothyroidism, it probably lists it as a symptom, but that it is probabley allergies.  Allergies??? I don't have allergies.  I was wondering if anyone else has this symptom.  I am new at this and would love to have your input/experiences.

Thanks!
I also struggle with dizziness and faintness! I am not sure if it is a symptom of hypothyroid but I also have allergies. I have never had dizziness or feelings of passing out
with allergies. I have had allergies all my life and these have not been a symptoms. Head pressure is an allergy symptom. I am 27 and have had hypothyroid for 8 years of my life and I have been dizzy all 8 years! So I am not positive it is a symptom but through process of elimination it seems likely! I hope this helps,
Carly
I have the same problem.
Treatment for the hypo has helped somewhat. We are still trying to get my TSH below a 1 to see if that helps.
My endo is also looking into Dysautonomia and/or POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). My tachycardia has improved on meds, but i still have trouble with it at times.
The med we are considering for that is call fludrocortisone. It pumps up your blood volume so you don't get the weak and dizzy feeling.
I have recently been diagnosed with hypo. And started my med a week ago.  I have had boughts of tachycardia for about 2 years and  a lot  dizziness for 2 weeks.  They think my dizziness  and tachycardia are related to my thyroid.  I have an event monitor  for a month to check my heart though.  I do have allergies and sinus trouble , but usually do not have all of this dizziness.  I hope my dizziness doesn't last for  8 years like Carly.  I don't like being on a lot of meds.  I am 33 and have never had to take any med regulary.  
mich207
Let us know how the meds go, especially if the dizziness and tachy subsides.

Feel better soon.
I also had dizziness and nausea.  When I went to Dr. they said it was a symptom of thyroid and tested me.  TSH was high.  I think the dizziness happened when my TSH fluctuated.  
Has the dizziness gone away with treatment?
I was just in the ER Monday due to severe Vertigo... TSH was 13. The ER Dr said he didnt think it was related, but then again this DUMBA$$ didnt even know what Armour Thyroid was or T3!!!! Emergency Medicine........ my patuna!!!!!!!!!!! I upped my dose of the Armour and the vertigo is gone. BUT after my first baby in 2005, I had bouts of Vertigo before all this thyroid mess and was told I had BPPV! Did not therapy for it and it hadnt returned until this past Monday... Not sure what the cause was, but it was terrifying to say the least regardless of the reason!
Yes, I believe that dizzines is related to thryoid.  Allergies? I don't really think so.
I am 28 and had hypothyroid in 2001 and then my levels went back to normal and the doctors took me off my medication and just had my daughter in april then appendix out in june and after that i suffer from chronic diarrhea x 5 months had my thyroid tested 4 months ago and was fine then did test again 2wks ago it ended up being 13.04 then 10 days later tested again and it is now 34.26 and i am now on thyroid meds but i feel so bad fatigue diarrhea dizzy and headaches in the front of my head like im gonna pass out chest pains just all together i feel like crap so hopefully i start feeling better shigirl99
i was diagnosed with hyper thyroid abt 3 mnths bk my levels are just one above the normal n the doc thinks my giddiness is due to anxiety i cant wake up in the mornings i feel like il collapse any time my fingers start swelling and i have  difficult time breathing is any one else having these similar symptoms or am i losing my head
I'm 19 and before about 2 weeks ago was pretty active, excersizing at least 6 days a week.  Now I get the same feeling walking 1/2 mile as I did after running 2 a couple weeks ago (but a girl's gotta get to class!).  I was diagnosed with hypo and started medication a little over a week and a half ago.  For the last couple years I've had a little trouble with dizziness, but it was pretty sporadic, and I usually assumed it was lack of enough protein or sleep.  The dizziness is as prominent as the fatigue now, which makes me think it's linked.  I am allergic to pollen, but I've never had a problem in the fall, so I don't think (at least for me) that the allergies are related to the dizziness. I hope you all feel better,
I am hyhpothyroid, but basically under control with meds.  I also have allergies to dust, pollen and mold.  I take Claritin daily and get allergy shots every two weeks.  Even with all that, there are certain times of the year, such as early spring and late fall, when the allergens are so high that I start getting slightly dizzy, especially while making the transition from lying down to getting up.  I had wondered if it might be an inner ear problem, related to my allergies and the inflammation due to that.  

I have subsequently found that whenever the season arrives and I am having these dizzy feelings, by supplementing my allergy meds with a nasal spray called NasalCrom, it really helps calm everything down.  This  spray is just a nasal allergy symptom controller.  I'm sure there are others that will have the same effect.  Might be worth a try.  
I have been hypo for Almost 2 years now. My Current Dosage of Synthroid (levothyroxin) is 125 TSH 1.2 .. I finally !! FINALLY feel "normal" No longer feel Suicidal, Depressed "Bi-Polar" as they WANTED to diagnose me. My TSH was at 110 before I sought out help. My heart would POUND at night, trouble breathing, Migraines where I had not had a headache for over 15 years. Allergies change every 7 years. Things you are NOT allergic to now you could be in your next cycle. THOUGH in the same respect, Most Dr's don't have the "care for you" factor in their practice anymore. I for once finally have one that does care. It's important to find that !! My Symptoms in a nut shell where ; 1.) Unexplained Hunger that would wake me up around 230 am each morning I would HAVE to eat something and QUICK. 2.) Headaches !! MIGRAINES.. Depression complete and udder feelings of NOT wanting to go on even though for once in my life just about EVERYTHING was in order 3.) Suicide not wanting to be in total pain both physically and mentally any longer (SEEK MEDICAL HELP IMMEDIATELY IF THIS IS YOU) 4.) Pain and EXTREME tightness in my entire body as if my entire body was being pulled inwards. 5.) Exhaustion in ever sense of the word !! 6.) FREEZING cold hands and feet and NOT being able to regulate my body temperature i.e. can't deal with extreme heat or cold. 7.) Nap time anyone ? ? 8.) inability to wake when I should wake not with an alarm or with some1 HITTING me 9.) Racing heart, Chest pains, palpitations.. 10.) In best Cheech and Chong voice "Look at the pretty colors man" Times where I would see weird flashes of colorful light in my eyes 11.) MASSIVE weight gain.. I was 167 lbs @ 6ft tall VERY athletic. got up to 237 lbs went from a size 32 waste to 36 TIGHT no belt. 12.) I don't Cry..I can count on 2 fingers the amount of times I ever HAD....UNTIL I was Hypo.. Spontaneous sudden bursts of emotion and tears followed by Mood Swing or just sometimes quick and sudden Mood Swings. 13.) Stinky, smelly sweaty feet. Drenched Socks that STUNK.. 14.) Loos stool someday s, runny stool others..  15) LOSS of hair...THANK GOD it grew back, but I lost my eyelashes A LOT of head hair, arm hair, etc.. 16.) Dry Itchy Scalp and skin.. flakes , flakes and MORE flakes .. No matter what I did.. 17.) ITCHY..... 18.) Never went through the whole Pimple stage when I was pubescent but It hit me @ 34 pimples, ingrown hairs, Blemishes EVERYWHERE.. 19.) Immune system breakdown.. Prided myself with NEVER scaring when cut, scratched, etc.. EVERY scratch became a scar and took awhile to heal.. 20.) (sorry for these next few but it's honesty) Increased Sexual appetite when feeling hungry for food usually right before lunch and Dinner.. 21.) VERY DIZZY RIGHT AFTER EATING.. I mean good LORD almost falling down drunk dizzy, feeling sick by being so dizzy followed by a NEED TO SLEEP RIGHT !! THEN.. 22.) Kidney area hurt and ached as well did stomach.. 23.) Calves really hurt like when you havn't run or hiked in a VERY long time and over do it and pay for it the next day TIMES 1 Billion !! 24.) Intestinal pain and discomfort. 25.) Itchy eyes (which is why they say allergies..had allergy tests done only allergic to fish) I BELIEVE the itchy eyes come from the dry skin and loss of hair and having it grow back from time to time but I'm NO EXPERT..  I hope to GOD that this helps at least 1 person.. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.. SEEK HELP.. KEEP LOOKING TILL YOU GET THE RIGHT DR. AND ANSWERS.. GOOD LUCK and GOD Bless !!

Michael J. Cig
Age 35 Hoshimotos (hypothyroid) for about 2 years
You sound EXACTLY like I felt before I went on dessicated thyroid, except I also had horrible generalized anxiety and panic attacks, which turned into agoraphobia.  After being on dessicated thyroid for about 4 months, these all went away.  Unfortunately I've over-medicated and now am trying to reduce my thyroid meds, so currently don't feel very well again with high pulse, higher blood pressure, some dizziness and nausea.  Hopefully these will go away soon - I've reduced my meds quite a bit.

Eve
I AM 25 YRS OLD AND HAVE 5 CHILDREN I BEEN FEELING SICK FOR ABOUT A YR NOW NOT WANTING TO DO ANYTHING DIZZY SWEATY NAUSEADED I GET TIRED REALLY EASY JUST WHEN I GET UP TO CLEAN COOK OR ANYTHING I FEEL LIKE I HAVE A MIGRAIN OR MY FORHEAD IS REALLY TIGHT ALWAYS FEELING ACHY ALL I WANT TO DO IS SLEEP I CANT DO ANYTHING WITH MY KIDS AND I HATE IT PLEASE IF ANY ONE HAS ANY ADVICE I CANT SEE A DOCTOR RITE NOW HAVE NO MONEY
I am a 35 year old male.. been Hypo for a year.. longest year of my life, i think anyway it is all kinda blurry. Heart palps dizzy woozy uncontrolable sweating head pains and wierdness that I cant explain. It was scary and uncontrolled for about 10 months. I have got my count into the normal range now but still have some of the wierd head stuff and heart pounds every once and awhile, its frustrating. I would give anything to make it all go away but I fear that will not ever happen so I am trying my best to learn to deal with it and freak out everytime I feel like I am dying! Its nice to read there are others that deal with it too... I hope you all get better and keep up the daily fight.
43 year old male and was diagnosed hypothyroid roughly 4 years ago by local internal medicine doctor through a simple physical.  Put me on .25 of Synthroid.  I should have never started the meds.  Never had any symptoms of low thyroid.  I might have been a bit tired I guess.  6' tall and was 208lbs.  Maybe a bit over weight, but I excercised all the time.  Continue to take the Synthorid..might have noticed about 4-5 lb drop.  After about a year, started develooing panic attacks, shortness of breath, GERD, non-regular stools.  One day my stools would literally drop out of me and the next I was straining to get anything out.  Sorry for the graphic details but I want others to know my symptoms.  In October 2010, I had had enough and went to Mayo Clinic for 2nd opinion.  Saw board certified endo doc, and was indeed diagnosed with hypothyroid, or Hashimoto's.  He put me on high dosage.....175mg.  He was perplexed on why I needed such high dose at my current weight, age, etc.  At that time, also had EGD of esophagus and disagnosed with corrosive espohagitis.  Put me on Protonix.  Fixed the GERD immediately.  I felt good for about 6 months.  Move forward to June 2011.  Lightheadedness, short cough, feeling of euphoria sometimes, shaky, scared.  Have my blood work done regularly and my TSH is always in the specified range of .40 - 4.5, always.  Never is the same but somewhere in that range.  It can be 1.55 one time and the next it is 3.67.  None of the docs I've dealt with though never seem too concerned with T3 and T4 and I feel that is a major problem.  I'm dizzy all the time, my head is in a fog all the time.  My appetite comes in goes, and of course with this, I'm absolutely scared!  It's all I think about.  I'm married, have two young boys, 10 & 12, and this is supposed to be the best times of my life.  You can't go get blood work daily and the meds don't work themselves up/down to the level they need to be overnight.  I don't know right now if I'm not getting enough synthroid or too much.  Again, labs come in with TSH looking normal.  But I know my own body....something ain't right.  Constant low grade headache, ear ringing mainly in left ear and dizzyness....ALL THE TIME.  Been to ENT with the thought I have chronic sinus infection or superbug.  I do seem to have some pretty good insomnia so I take Tylonel PM and it seems to work ok.  One of my docs gave me Xanax and said I needed to calm down.  No ****!  I can't even hardly walk into a Walmart or Sams for fear of just keeling over!  Yes, thyroid issues are more related to women, but men have it as well, just not as often.  Unfortunately for me, I have it.  No one else in my family has it.  At Mayo, they did everything...full physical.  My heart is fine, MRI's, CT Scans, stress test, EKG, barium MRI's, bloodwork fine.  I ride 10 miles on a stationary bike very hard and I get no short of breath symptoms.  Actually, when I'm working out, I feel best.  I do notice at times, I am sensitive to cold temps.  Or when I walk into our house and it's 75 degrees like my wife and kids like it, I'm cold!  How the hell can that be?  Then after a while, I'll warm up.  Low sex drive with is a real downer.  Up until the last month or so, I was always wanting to have sex.  It was just my nature.  Now, seems things have tapered way down....which just isn't me.  I don't have an enlarged thyroid, or at least I don't feel anything.  No swollen glands.  Actually, I'd feel 100% if I could get rid of the month long head fog/headache, dizzyness, etc.  
Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum and assure you that there are many experienced and knowledgeable members here who will be glad to provide all the help we can provide.  I am also a male with hypothyroidism, currently under control, and feeling best ever.  I'd like to relate more, but have to leave for a while.  More later.  
From re-reading your post I get the idea that the only thyroid test used to diagnose and treat you has been TSH .    This totally does not work.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that at best it is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  Of these Free T3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that hypo symptoms correlated best with Free t3, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate.  

Even though doctors like to believe that TSH reliably reflects the levels of T4 and T3 in your body, I would challenge any doctor to show how TSH correlates adequately with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less correlate with symptoms, which are even more important.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 levels as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not test results.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

After you read the letter I think you can see that you have yet to run into a  good thyroid doctor.  Following is a link to the Top Thyroid Doctors site for Alaska.  There is a Nurse Practitioner shown for Eagle River that sounds like she knows something about thyroid.  The info may be out of date though.  Please have a look and let me know if she is still available, and what you think about that prospect.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/alaska.htm
I did not make it clear that you need to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4.  If the doctor resists, and makes excuses that it is not necessary, just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  

In addition,  you need to get tested for Vitamin A, D, B12, zinc, selenium, and RBC magnesium.  Since most hypothyroidism is caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis, it would be good to test for the thyroid antibodies associated with Hashi's.   These tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  

Based on some of the symptoms you mention, it would also be a good idea to get a 24 hour saliva cortisol test done to find out if there are adrenal issues.  

When test results are available, then please get a copy of the lab report and post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  
Thanks for this -- I'm a 36 y/o male with the EXACT same symtoms.
I have also had symptoms my head is going into a fog and dizzyness then vertigo.  I also have just been diagnosed with high tsh and low t4.  or hypothyroid
They did not check t3.  The vertigo is completely the scariest thing I have ever experienced and I have had kidney stones all my life and would say that passing a stone does not rate compared to vertigo, everything spins for hours vertigo till you throw up and can not anymore and just pass out.
Here are the things that help me.  One if I can exercise which does make me feel almost whole again.  Two a glass of water every half hour, takes about 3 hours and the symptoms of dizzyness go away and I almost feel whole again.   But I have to keep drinking at that rate to make it stay away.  Which is almost impossible.  But it does work for me if I keep drinking water every half hour.
I will let you know how the medication works. I have not started it yet.
Thank you for posting this.  Now I now I'm NOT INSANE!!! Going to my doctor asap!!! Been dealing with what my old dr. who passed away told me was hypothyroid, but was shrugged off by other doctors. Why do they want to just pass us off as mental, instead of realizing we're sick?!