Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Hypothyroid (using Generic pills)

I have had hypothyroid for 40 years. I am 56 years old. I took synthyroid 100mc for a long time . The past year it has fluctuated up and down every few months. I was taking 75 mc levothyroxine. My doctor said it is a generic brand and use levoxyl. Dr Oz had this consumer reporter on medications He said that levothyroxine can fluctuate it strength which makes sense  since I am up and down every few months. I recently had bile reflux gastritis. My doctor switched me to levoxyl and my heart was racing so I got off the pill and had my thyroid recheked. He said it was normal a few weeks later. A month later I ended up with heart palpitations and ended up in emergency room. They took my thyroid and said it was high. They put me back on levothyroxine 75mc. I have been on it for 5 days. My palpitations are bothering me. I am wondering how long does it take for thyroid pills to make the palpitations go away. Are the palpitations caused by low thyroid. I would ask my doctor but the report is locked in his office and he is out of town I have tried to find a specialty doctor but the wait is 6 weeks. The good news is I lost 30 lbs. My diet has changed from the bile reflux gastritis and chamomile tea works great with a few other herbs. I heard that there is a test for thyrodd called free3 TSH and free4 TSH. That it is different from the plain TSH. Any other information would be helpful. Are there any other natural medications to take to help my thyroid function? Thanks loony 56
When you say that your thyroid has fluctuated up and down every few months, that sounds like you are being tested and medicated based on TSH alone.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many things that it is totally inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid issues.  At best it is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators suchas symptoms and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  

Each time you go in for tests you should request to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH.  If the doctor resists, just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  Also, since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, those should be tested as well.  If possible, since your doctor is out of town, you should ask about getting these tests done, so that results will be available when he returns.  

For info, palpitations can be associated with being either hypo or hyper; however, you mentioned losing 30 pounds.  Was that the result of a diet and exercise program?  If not, then that might point to excess meds and being hyper.  We will know much more after you get the additional tests done.  Then when results are available, please get a copy of the lab report and post results and their reference ranges shown on the report, and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
Thank you for the information. I will talk to my doctor on monday to get the Free T3 and T4.  I am vitamin D3 deficient and bought them from Dr Kalsa Soram who was on Dr oz. He has pure vitamin D3, I will get the B12 and the ferritin checked too. I have been hypothyroid for most of my life. I lost weight 30 lbs from diet change and I ended up with Bile Reflux Gastiris and could barely eat for 6 weeks. Cured it with my own herbal tea mixture of Chamomile flowers, slippery elm, marshmallow root. That was awesome. I am on 75 mc levothyroxine. The consumer lab said the Generic brands very in strength. He was on Dr Oz show. The hospital said my thyroid was high so I took the 75mc and my palpitations are not as frequent. I know it takes two weeks to get it into the blood. In the mean while I will get My thyroid rechecked with all the better information on checking it.  Med help has been really awesome. I changed my diet since I have no gallbladder and hypothyroid. I am dairy free, gluten free, processed food free, limit my goitrogens, and I only eat fish. I will let you know of my tests when I get them Thank you loony56
I had palps bad while hypo and that was while I was on no meds. They got better when I started meds but now that I had to change they are back when I sleep and when I lay down. Better if I'm up. I to hope they go away.
The palpitations are from my low thyroid. Since  I have been taking 75mc of levothyroxine I am doing better but extremely tired. I did have a bunch of blood tests. I am putting my vitamins in my smoothies. Palpitations are horrible. I will always stay on my thyroid medicine. Trying to regulate Thyroid is a chore in itself. Hoping your feeling better. loony56
Thank you for the information on getting my TSH, FREE T4 and FREE T3, Vitamin D 3, Vitamin B12 and my ferritin levels checked. All my blood tests were normal except my TSH levels were 5.78  should be 0.450-4.500. The doctor is putting me back on Synthroid 100mc. My Ferritin cam back high. 307 should be 13ng-150ng. Now I know why I have been tired and dizzy with heart palpitations. I am increasing my thyroid and stop vitamins that contain iron or very low iron. I do need to find out which foods to eat for low iron. I think its called Hemochromatosis. I think if I get on higher thyroid pill and stop eating high iron foods and vitamins I can get better. Do you know anything about high ferritin levels and is mine real high or can it be modified by eating low iron foods and vitamins. I have a hard time eating at all because my thyroid issues and Bile reflux gastritis. I finally know what is going on. All my other blood tests were normal. Loony56
Just because thyroid test results are in the so-called "normal" range does not mean they are adequate.  The ranges are far too broad to be functional for many people.  Please post all those results and their reference ranges so that members can further assess.