Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Hypothyroidism and cortisone injection

After a number of years of suffering from symptoms of hypothyroidism (25 lb weight gain during last 3 yrs despite diet of less than 1500 calories, depression, fatigue, thinning hair, brittle nails, and recently discovered I have high cholesterol, fasting glucose of 99, vitamin D level (total) of 21, and shoulder impringement/rotator cuff tear) my G.P. ordered a thyroid test for me and my TSH was 3.12 with 1.0 T4 free (I was told that is normal). I am a 48 year old woman, 5'1", 145 pounds. I had hoped we might find a medical cause for symptoms. Yesterday, I saw an orthopedist for my shoulder pain and received a cortisone injection. Although my shoulder pain is about the same, I have been walking through the day with so much more energy than I have had for longer than I remember, and I don't feel like my brain is being crushed with depression today... it's a remarkable, amazing feeling! I am just wondering if there is any chance that the cortisone shot caused this? Because nothing else is changed. Could it mean that I actually DO have a hypothyroid condition, that might actually improve with treatment? If so, how should I proceed? Thank you.
Wow, my fiancé had the same exact experience after getting a steroid I jection for her shoulder.  She developed a lot of cutaneous flushing on her cheeks and chest, which subsided the next day.  Her energy levels were so high the next day, that she only took 2/3 of her usual thyroid medication dose and has been doing just fine.  She feels a big difference.