Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Hypothyroidism and musculoskeletal disorder

Does anyone else have hypothyroidism and a musculoskeletal disorder?

I suspect my underactive thyroid is aggravating the occupational tendinitis in my forearms. I've had this condition
for almost a year and while it has improved I still don't have a full recovery. My job is physical labour with a lot of repetitive hand/arm movements. I read on a medical website that it is not uncommon for people with thyroid problems to have CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome).
COMMUNITY LEADER
It's true that some people with hypothyroidism have carpal tunnel syndrome, your job doing repetitive movement would make CTS more likely.

What are your current thyroid hormone levels?  You should be getting tested regularly for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  If you have results for any thyroid related blood work, please post them, so we can better assess your situation.  Be sure to include reference ranges with any lab results, since ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's?
Thanks for replying to my post. My current TSH level is 4.5 (reference range 0.3 - 5.0). My previous TSH level was 3.73 and I felt better.My previous Free T4 level was 12 (reference range 4.5 - 11.2). I don't know what my current Free T4 level is! I've read that some medical professionals believe the reference range should be narrower (up to 3). I live in Canada. I knew my thyroid function had slipped when I was feeling cold again, not sleeping as well, and more emotional/stressed. I hope to address it through diet, exercise, and stress management.

Do you limit or avoid so-called goitrogrenic foods?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I take it you're not getting Free T3 tests?  Most Canadian doctors refuse to test anything but TSH, so I guess we can be thankful for you getting the FT4.    About 10 yrs ago, the AACE recommended that the TSH range be changed from 0.45 - 4.50 to 0.3-3.0, but many/most labs have been slow to conform, therefore, doctors simply look at the reference range on the lab report and deem it either in or out of range.

Did you have hyper symptoms with FT3 at 12 and TSH at 3.73?  I wouldn't have been the TSH that made you feel better; it would have been higher thyroid hormone levels.  I would really love to see what your FT3 was at that time.

TSH is so volatile that it's affected by so many variables that have  nothing to do with thyroid function.  It should never be the sole basis for diagnosing or treating thyroid condition.

What medication are you on? What dosage and how long have you been on it?

No I don't really limit or avoid goitrogenic foods.  First off, the goitrogenic properties are destroyed once the food is cooked, so no problems there.  If I'm eating them raw, I simply leave a few hours between them and my thyroid med.  The only thing I specifically avoid, whenever possible, is soy.
Like Barb mentioned , you need Free T3 testing.

T3 levels are most responsible for tendon/nerve/muscle recovery are far as thyroid goes.

T3 in the form of natural thyroid or synthetic has helped or resolved those issues in many people. This was my experience as well.

On the other hand, T3 is so effective it can even somewhat cover up symptoms that are not thyroid related, but similar.
Thanks for your reply. Please note the physiotherapist diagnosed the tendinitis. My previous job involved a lot of heavy lifting (which was excessive). My current job involves a lot of pushing/pulling of a cart.

I am not on any medication and that will be a last resort. Once my B12 level was corrected with a supplement my thyroid improved significantly and I was relatively comfortable. My previous TSH levels include 7.43, 8.41, 10.79 (reference range up to 5.0) I meant I feel better compared to when my TSH was considerably higher meaning my thyroid was under functioning worse.

I am also concerned that someone else could be out of whack such as my adrenal glands.

Thanks for the info about food. I don't like soy and I did read it is bad for one's thyroid. I'm a vegetarian, but not a vegan. More later. I have to get ready to go to work.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I agree that the doctor needs to do more thorough testing. I also think he needs to look at the big picture.
Thank you for your reply.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian which means I include dairy and eggs.in my diet. I wasn't promoting it for others simply sharing. You had mentioned other possible defiencies so I thought I would add to that. (B12).

Yes, I paid out of pocket to have my Vitamin D level tested.

Thanks for the tip about hormone testing. Now I just need to convince the doctor it might be necessary.

RE; I don't want to hijack Frankie's thread, but I'll go ahead and address your questions, then we should probably go back to your own thread, so we don't get confused.  

As far as vegetarianism goes, I have great concern about that, because many vegetarians don't eat any animal products at all, which leaves them extremely vulnerable to dietary vitamin B12 deficiency, since vitamin B12 comes from animal products, such as meats, dairy, eggs, etc.  

You're from Canada and you had to pay for a vitamin D test?  Is that not covered under their NHS or are you not covered under the health care plan?  Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, which means that it's not eliminated from the body via urine, like many other vitamins/minerals are; therefore, too high levels can be toxic, plus it required fat, to be metabolized. If your level is at 92 and the upper reference range is typically 100, you're very close to the top and might want to cut back on your supplement.

Your doctor can test your reproductive hormone levels to determine whether or not you are in peri-menopause.  

Along with TSH and Free T4, you should also be getting Free T3, every time you have thyroid blood work.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh, I didn't get the impression that you were promoting vegetarianism; I just mentioned that I'm always concerned about that because vegetarians who don't eat any animal products are often deficient in vitamin B12.

Did you have to pay for vitamin D test, because it's not in the NHS guidelines, or are you not covered under the guidelines?  I'm just interested, because we find patients in, both Canada and UK who can't get adequate testing because of their national healthcare laws.

Since you are 44 yrs old, your doctor should recognize the fact that you're "of age" to be entering peri-menopause and that stage of life brings on its own problems, which can be compounded with thyroid issues. Fortunately, I had surgically induced menopause before my thyroid issues began (or at least before they were recognized and full blown).  Peri-menopause can cause some thyroid-like symptoms.
Thanks for your reply.

Vitamin D test is not covered by the government for the general population only for people with certain medical conditions. I do not have health benefits through work.

I agree with what you say about my doctor. I think I need to remind him of these facts at my next appointment which I hope will be by mid Dec.

Facts: 44 will be 45 mid December
"Peri-menopause can cause some thyroid-like symptoms."
please double check her pst her free4t was 12 not her free t3. Her free4t level was 12 range (4.5-11.2) wouldn't that be above range . or am I eading it wrong
COMMUNITY LEADER
You read it right; that was a typo.  I meant to say: "Did you have hyper symptoms with FT4 at 12 and TSH at 3.73?".  She didn't have an FT3, so we don't know what that was.  Because she had hypo symptoms, we can pretty safely think that her FT3 would have been quite low in comparison to the FT4.  

Lately my doctor has only been testing my TSH and FreeT4 level so I do not have any recent FreeT3 levels.

I hope to request a thyroid panel soon (TSH, Free T4, Free T3, antithyroid peroxidase antibody, antithyroglobulin antibody).

I have the lab requistion for December 13, 2011, but I can't find the results in my file with the other lab reports!