Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

I HAVE CANCER!!!!!!!!!! Help!!! Please help!

I just got the call from the surgeon, it is pap cancer.  I am a mess.  I have to go back in on Friday and have this surgery again.  I am so scared!!!!!  I have 3 little kids, 5, 9 and 12.  Oh, I am a mess.

Please tell me positives stories.  Please.
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU .. and you will be okay.  There are many here on this community who have beenn where you are now and will be here for you from beginning to end I can promise you this .. including myself.

OK?

Can you refresh our memory on this thread, the size, and what the path report stated?  Did they do a frozen biopsy?  Did they do a partial?  

You will fine and so will your kids ... you will all grow from this experience.

It is great this is caught .. early detection is key and thyroid ca. is slow growing usually .. not to minimize this, but help you see you will be okay.

I had two small pap micro's .. others on this community have had 2 surgeries as you indicate.

Look for helsurf, rodeoqueen as two members to do a community search and see their history.  Two very brave women, as yourself, who have had extensive, extreme thyroid cancers taken care of and are here to help us here on thyroid.

C~
partial 1/07
papillary micro's
1/07 early melanoma detected and removed on arm

Hi~

I had a partial done last Tuesday and now I have to go back in and have the remander of the thyroid removed this Friday.  I had an fna and a frozen section biopsy done while I was in the OR and both came back benign.  That is why I am in such shock.  The tumor was big about 4 cm but I do not know if there was cancer in the entire thing.  I have to go to the surgeon's office on Thursday to discuss everything.  I am a mess.  I do not want to die.  My babies are little.  I dread having to have this surgery again.  I am still so sore for the first time.  I am just so scared.
You won't die. Think positively! Your body will feel a lot better if you do--the last thing it needs is stress. You made it through the surgery the first time, so you should be fine going through round two. Soreness isn't fun...is there any pain medication your doctor could give you (a different kind of medication, perhaps, or an increased dosage)?

I've never had thyroid cancer, but as cliche as it may sound, it is one of the easiest types of cancer to deal with and treat, and it has an excellent survival rate. As ChitChatNIne pointed out, it's great that they caught this early, and there are many community members who have been through something similar to what you're going through right now. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger--your kids will look up to you for getting through all of this one day, if they aren't already! And we're here for you if you ever need to vent--even those of us who can't claim to be as brave. =)
HI, My Brother had thyroid Cancer about 4-5 years ago.  He had a thyroiectomy and iodine treatment.  He now takes thyroid supplements other than that he is doing great. The hardest part is waiting for tests, results and prodcedures to be completed.  Thyroid cancer has a very high cure rate. I hope all goes well for you.
I googled "thyroid cancer prognosis" and found the following....

Baylor University lists the favorable factors:  female, less than 45 yrs old, tumor equal to or less than 4cm.  It also says that patients with the most common type of thyroid cancer have a 90% cure rate.  

here's their website:  http://www.thyca.org/pap-fol-prog.htm

New York Thyroid Center (columbia university) says survival rate is 98.2% for women under 51, tumor under 5cm without distant metastases.

here's their website:  http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/staging.html

www.cancer.org says this.....Younger people have a low likelihood of dying from differentiated (papillary or follicular) thyroid cancer. The TNM stage groupings for these cancers take this fact into account. So, all people younger than 45 years with papillary thyroid cancer, for example, are stage I if they have no distant spread and stage II if they have distant metastases beyond the neck or upper mediastinal lymph nodes.

You will be in my thoughts......

Sandy
I am a 2-yr papillary thyca survivor.  You've been through the hard part...going through the unknown.  Since you have already been through one surgery you know what to expect.  No, surgery is ever easy but you will get through this.  The survival rate for papillary thyca is extremely in our favor.  

You doctor will probably want to have you go through radioactive iodine treatment (RAI) to make sure any remaining thyroid cells are killed off.  It's almost impossible to get all thyroid cells no matter how skilled the surgeon is.  That's why many thyca patients go through RAI.  The hardest part of this is having to go hypothyroid before RAI.  You will have to go on a low-iodine diet, which can be a challenge, but is doable You can find the low-iodine cookbook at http://www.thyca.org/ThyCa%20Cookbook%20011804.pdf.

Bottom line is you WILL survive!!!! We are all here for you.  I know you will have tons of questions.  Just ask away.

MJ