Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

I do NOT have Clinical Depression, I do have Hypo!!

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but a couple weeks ago I put all the pieces together and I strongly feel that I am hypo. I went to a Dr who has good word of mouth reccomendations. He did do a good job of asking me questions but at the end of this he said he would test me for TSH and low iron. If those come back "normal" he said that I have clinical depression! I know what clinical depression is as I went thru a bout of it about 10 years ago! Anyway, if the tests come back "normal" I am going to ask him for the results of my clinical depression labs!!!! I know threre are none but hopefully this will open his eyes to the possibility that there are conditions for which labs are NOT reliable or non-existent! Its a good thing I had a preminition of this and ordered glandular suppliments before this appointment!
Thanks!!
I guess I could ask a question... Has anyone else been told its depression but in your gut you know its low thyroid? If you finally got diagnosed as hypo what did you do to get the Dr to believe you? Please dont just say get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th... opionion. I literally cant afford that many appointments as my hubby is going thru treatment of colon cancer and $$$ is tight.
Yes, depression can be associated with being hypo.  If you look at this listing of 26 typical hypo symptoms, do you have other symptoms as well?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html
We hear from many, many people who have been told "it's depression".  Doctors are much happier to prescrie an anti-depressant than to pursue the underlying cause.

TSH is a pituitary hormone and, at best, a screening test.  Many people suffer hypo symptoms with perfectly "normal" TSH.  A much more accurate thyroid profile is reached by ordering FREE T3 and FREE T4.  These tests show the levels of the actual thyroid hormones available to your body.

You can try to educate your doctor, you can ask for FT3 and FT4, you can beg and demand.  Your doctor might be receptive.  If he isn't, there isn't much choice but to move on, unless you want to take anti-depressants that often make you even more despressed if the underlying cause is hypo.

IF your TSH comes back "normal", do you think your doctor would order more tests?  AACE recommended changing TSH reference range several years ago to 0.3-3.0.  Most doctors and labs are still using an old range that might go as high as 5.5.  Be aware when you get your results that anything above (or even close to) 3.0 should now be considered hypo.
I've been fighting depression for over 23 years.  I was put on thyroid suppression therapy 14 years ago because I had nodules--they said it would shrink them--I was on a synthetic T4 only medication.  i have now read that on synthetic T4 only it is impossible to not be hypothyroid---regardless of what the tests say.  a TSH is a pituitary test and only tells what the level of thyroid is in your pituitary.  Your pituitary could have a normal level of thyroid hormone in it while the rest of the cells in your body are hypothyroid---that is why people continue to have depression, or headaches, etc.  Before the TSH test existed, dr's used to use a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms, and treated the patient with natural thyroid hormone until the symptoms were better.

we have really gone backwards in the treatment of thyroid problems and the TSH test probably misses a good majority of the people who are mildly or moderately hypothyroid.
COMMUNITY LEADER
While it's true that the pituitary can have sufficient hormones, while peripheral tissue does not, TSH does NOT tell the level of thyroid hormones in the pituitary.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that's trying to stimulate the thyroid into producing more hormones, or to stop producing, whichever the case may be.

It's also not true that one on a T4 only medication will ALWAYS be hypo.  There are many people who feel just fine on T4 only medication.
I did order a thyroid panel from Canary Club which is somewhat associated with Dr. Shames. I did this myself because I have asked for a thyroid test since I was 15 and never was granted one (I am 30 now). The tests are free Thyroxine (fT4), free Triiodothryronine (fT3), Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO). I showed the questionaire that I filled out to the Dr. and he said that the ft3 ft4 and TPO were not necissary! I beg to differ. Also he said that the lab that is analizing the sample may be fake just because they are in the state of OR. I did find the lab's CLIA cerification and will bring this along with that test's results to my appt on Fri. As of right now I have no test results but when I do get them I will post them (along with the reference ranges). I hope I can elighten him or else I may need to shop around like I have seen others comment on. Thanks everyone!!