Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

I don't think the doctors know or care

They seem to be taught the canned answers, so when weight gain comes up: it's be WE are eating to much.  When we lose hair: it's because WE have changed something to lose it.  I've been on Levoxyl @ 125mcg since 1996.  I weigh 160 pounds then and had eyebrows.  Now I weigh 240 pounds and have NO eyebrows.  Still have my hair.... but it's little comfort.  Depression is a demon to live with and I've learned how to recognize it's nasty head and pull out of it.  Weight.... 1400 calories a day, 50% carb, 30% protein and 15% fat - I journal my foods, keep the percentages and in one year lost 12 pounds.  I work out 35 minutes to 60 minutes a day, depending on the workout.

Until I meet a doctor that really gives a d**n then I'm not going to keep padding their wallet.  I take my prescribed dosage, check every year on the TSH levels and if they say: it's within range then I leave.  NO one can convince me that the drugs aren't altering things but (throwing up our hands in frustration) what can we do?  Who is trained so that they listen and really know.  As far as I'm concerned that is why they call it "PRACTICING" medicine and we're the lab rats.  

Frustrated in Oklahoma

This discussion is related to Synthroid medication causing hair loss.
Can you post your last blood results?  were they recent?
I have to agree that 90% of the doctors I have seen are as you describe.

BUT...you need to be getting your blood tested at least every six months. Three months would be better. "Within range" is a cruel joke once you start taking thyroid meds.

Your TSH needs to be around 1.0, somewhere between 0.5 and 2.0. What number works best for your body is a good question. If your TSH is 3.0, that is not a good number and you are being held in a hypo state.

If you feel your TSH is good, then maybe you should try switching meds and see if the symptoms go away. Treating thyroid disease seems to be 50% science and 50% ????????
where any of the docs  DO or where they all MD?  
My endocrinologist does not give me a paper with the readouts. I've seen them but he's only says, "You're within limits."  

Having blood drawn every three months is expensive and I am a "self-pay".  I have to plan for a doctors appointment.  

I have recently moved however and plan on finding a new doctor.  I'm not very confident in finding one that is better.  If you don't have insurance they think not only are you poor they think you're stupid.  It's hard to convince a new doctor that you can pay, only on time.  And I'm definitely not stupid.  

As for meds, I've been on Levothyroxin - that was a painful experience!!  Bursts of light in the brain... weird.  I have been on Synthroid..... both of these medication have problems in absorption - same med different base.  I have asked about Armor... something and told flat out no on that one.  
If you take your med with vitamins or certain foods it can hinder or increase the absorbtion rate of the meds.

"normal range" means different things.  Some still go by the old .5 - 5.5 is normal... then about 9 years ago there was the .5 - 3.5 that came out..... now there is the .3-2.5 range...

so which range are you "normal" and what do your symptoms tell you?  Labs are a piece of the puzzle not the whole deal... patient presentation accounts for a large portion of it.
I can understand your problem with no insurance. I am fighting tooth and nail to not lose mine.

When you find a new doctor, ask for copies of any lab work. Then you can look at them as many times as you want.

This may not work for you, but here is a suggestion. If you are moving to a small or medium size town, ask around a bit before seeing a doctor. The pharmacist may know which GP knows about thyroid stuff, or who is the best diagnostician. The head of the ER would know as well. Most of the clinic office help would know, too.

A few delicately phrased questions here and there may help you find a good doctor.  
Good Morning and WELCOME to the THYROID Community!  

I agree with all the posts about your ? Klassylady .. it is really hard to find a good doc who works with you and listens .. many on this community have had to Dr. shop around to find the right match but paying out of pocket can be quite costly and I fully understand this dilemma which is shared by so many on this commuity.

Not having insurance sometimes does carry stigma .. it is such a shame .. I feel bad for you as all you want is to feel good!

May I ask why you are on Synthroid?  For what medical reason.  That can help give us some more insight to help you ...

Cheryl
I'm here to learn, as we all are.  I live in Oklahoma City, so I'll find a doctor, I have no doubt.  

Symptoms:  large weight gain, fight depression (though without drugs I've figured out that one), hair loss (eyebrows), fatigue.

We are all striving for "quality of life" and that's why I keep reading, studying, and watching what others have to say.  

I'm off for right now - wisdom tooth on the way out.  

Thank you all again.
Candice
More on the quality of life ... that is exactly true ... even though I am taking Synthroid for cancer supression my Endo had said from the beginning we have goals but those goals must be ammended for a quality of life, too, and thus .. I am TSH 1.3 vs. the goal of <1.0 which in my case they say is ok ....(everyone is different of course) .. but at 1.3 I have a quality of life I life with w/o daily side effects .. <1.0 I cannot cope with anxiety driven issues.

C~

You have to be your own doctor these days!  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 15 years ago and spent the first 7 in absolute misery.  I went to every major endocrinologist in NYC during that time and suffered from weight gain, depression, hair loss, skin problems and dizziness.

I was originally put on synthroid and told my TSH numbers were "normal" when they were up around 3-4...took a few years to find out those doctors were completely wrong.  Many other combinations and dosages tried (and achieved very supressed TSH) and finally I decided I couldn't take it any more and gave in and tried the natural hormone, Armour thyroid.  Within 2 months I finally felt like myself (seven years into my quest) and while it didn't solve all of my problems I can definitely say I felt so much better and I do not have any hair loss... I have several family members, friend -- and my dog!!! -- on synthroid and they have ALL lost hair dramatically.  The doctors want you to believe that is just from lingering symptoms of the disease and not from the pills.  But that is an utter LIE!!!  While not everyone will encounter hair loss on Synthroid, it is so common that I can not believe doctors are so ignorant of it.  But then again, as one of the most highly prescribed meds in the country the Pharm company that produces it markets falsehoods aggressively to the med community (they're also behind convincing the med community that natural is harmful even though it has been around for over a century).  BE YOUR OWN DOCTOR!  Insist on a trial of the natural hormone if you have given synthetic a fair shot and are still suffering.